39

Tyler gets a wicked look once they return to the palace. "I think that I've let Mrs. Wheaton have enough time to digest her food this day. She needs to be made aware of the issue of that Senator." Besides he's received some info in regards to the good senator that need to be looked into. He'll let State deal with it, or at least part of it.

"How do you call someone on Earth? Or receive calls for that matter?" That had bothered her no little bit. She had seen for herself the elf call for him when she first went to the building to return the stones.

"Magic and electronics don't mix, most of the time. We've found a way to merge the two for certain things. Phones are one of those things. Really your cell phone was remarkable in that it didn't need the merging technology to survive. I already have my people looking into it." Tyler says distractedly as he does some gestures that Shelby assumes has magic in it. Shortly a type of mirror appears, but instead of reflecting them or the room it shows a woman in her forties finishing up work for the day. It's obvious that she's tired and ready to leave.

"Ah, Mrs. Wheaton, I do apologize for waiting so late in the day to make this call. I'll try to not hold you up to long." Shelby is a bit upset, this isn't marrying the technology and Tyler is teasing the poor woman.

Mrs. Wheaton blanches as she hears Tyler's voice and sees him across from her desk. "Your majesty, how might I help you?"

"Tyler be nice," Shelby says before Tyler can say anything else. She takes center stage or whatever the magic thing is. "I apologize for his rudeness." Shelby says sincerely to the overworked female before her.

"Oh, this is nothing. Think nothing of it, for I don't. I'm Mrs. Wheaton," The woman leaves it up to Shelby whether or not she wants to introduce herself.

Shelby goes to do so and Tyler takes over. "Mrs. Wheaton this is my wife, Shelby."

His smooth tones make it so that Mrs. Wheaton doesn't really hear what he says and when she finally realizes it all she can say is, "I'm so sorry."

Shelby is delighted, but Tyler is pressing his lips down in anger. Mrs. Wheaton's eyes got big and her hands had slapped over her lips in horror. She can't believe she actually said that out loud.

Shelby manages to keep the laughter from coming out but her words are full of it as she talks to the horrified woman. "Thank you." She can't hide the smirk that grows on her face. "The elves are a handful that is for sure. How long have you had to deal with grumpy here?"

Mrs. Wheaton relaxes at Shelby's informal approach, but she is still wary of Tyler and so keeps her eyes on him most of the time. "For six months now. All the others that have had his case have retired and some have permanent illness due to him. I've lasted longer than any of them." She frowns, that sounds like she's bragging, but she isn't. She hates dealing with Tyler and the elves more than anything she's ever done before, or could imagine having to do in the future.

"I see," Shelby turns her look to Tyler and it's more than a little hostile. Tyler takes on an innocent look, that Shelby isn't buying.

"Forgive me, but you don't look elven," Mrs. Wheaton intrudes on the staring contest that had erupted between Shelby and Tyler.

Tyler turns to Mrs. Wheaton and replies, "That's because she isn't. Which brings me to the reason for destroying your appetite for the evening. Shelby is from Utah and one of the Senators is detaining my people demanding to see her. Says that she's being held hostage or some such shit."

Mrs. Wheaton's eyes narrow in anger. Tyler might be a pain in the ass to deal with, but going outside of channels makes her life a thousand times harder. This Senator crossed a very big no no of a line when he did what he did. "He did what again?"

"He detained some of my high lords in his office for hours and then demanded that he be able to meet with my wife." Tyler is still beyond furious for the gall of the man to do that, but the anger he sees reflected on Mrs. Wheaton's face reassures him that this wasn't sanctioned.

"Which Senator?" She demands in a clipped voice.

"Hughs. Senator John Hughs, from Utah. Shelby says that he's as corrupt as they come and wants nothing to do with him. In my own research, he's neck deep in antielven hate groups. He's a member of the biggest and contributor to others. But I haven't had the chance to do any deep digging, that I'll leave with you."

Mrs. Wheaton is already writing things down and making notes. She looks back up at the couple, "I sincerely apologize for any misconduct on his part. That was in no way sanctioned by the State department or the government other than on his part."

Shelby decides to speak, "Tell that ass if he wants to speak to me that he'll need to go through channels. Doing what he did put people's lives in danger."

Mrs. Wheaton nods her head. Things are becoming steadily more unstable between humans and elves. What Hughs did could've lead to war between the two races. But that wasn't what Shelby was referring to, but Mrs. Wheaton had no way of knowing that.

"Mrs. Wheaton, if you have any further trouble with Tyler just let me know. He's been trying to gain some manners, but it's hard to break old habits and he is old, very old so his habits are fairly in grained." This gains Mrs. Wheaton's attention. There has been widespread conjecture on just how old the elves are.

"Oh, just how old is he?"

Shelby shrugs, "I'm not entirely sure, but he's more than three hundred years old. And he's fairly young yet, that much I do know. The elves don't talk about their age much, at least not to me."

Mrs. Wheaton just stares at her in muted horror. No wonder Tyler and the other elves are so difficult to deal with. Not only are they asses, they are old asses.

Shelby doesn't like how the other lady is looking. "I'm here to teach them all some manners. Hopefully tensions between the two races will lessen as they learn their lessons." Shelby smiles at the play on words, but she notices Mrs. Wheaton saying something under her breath.

"Yes, we all do." Shelby says out loud. She reads lips.