Chapter 76: surprise surprise

New York

Two months later

"What's the deal with you and Hailey?" I asked adjusting the phone in front of my face as i FaceTimed Justin

He chuckled  "nothing? What are you talking about Mia? She's my new friend"

He was in the car, as far as I can see he was in the backseat

"You seriously can't see that she has a total crush on you?" I asked looking at the TV then back at my phone

He scrunched up his nose "what? No way"

"J how can someone as smart and perceptive as you not realize that the person sitting right in front of you is in love with you?" I yelled bringing the blanket closer to my body

He looked down and blushed "oh Mia, trust me, i guarantee you I'm not the only person to make that mistake"

"What is that supposed to mean?" I scoffed

He looked up at the camera again before shrugging "never mind. Uh look! I gotta go I'll talk to you soon okay?"

I frowned "yeah okay. Love you" I said blowing him a kiss through the phone causing him to smile and mumble an i love you too before hanging up

It was now the middle of November, the streets were lifeless, people were cooped up inside their homes as the weather worsened. It was raining so hard, the amount of puddles outside increased as the rain showed no signs in halting.

Inside, the lights were radiant and the warmth was pleasantly welcoming. I was curled up on my couch in my new house listening to the sound of the rain falling and hitting my windows with blankets doubled up around my body as I kept my eyes glued to the TV, the thunder roaring and the lightning lighting up the night sky caused me to look at the window to see the rain droplets slide down the glass window, waiting to see which one would reach the bottom first, I still don't understand the world... like it could be sunny in the morning and when the night comes it pours rain like there's no tomorrow.

I moved around and brought the blankets closer to me, feeling shivers trickle down the length of my spine when the newly formed warmth crept under my skin. An involuntary smile broke out onto my face as i drank my tea

I moved out of my old apartment and to this new house just last month, I didn't want to be there, to be reminded of my past and I thought it'd be good to start a new life all over again

I'm still single and I'm not planning on being with someone even though it's almost been three months but I guess I'm not ready to commit to someone, to give my all to someone only to get hurt at the end. I went on a couple of dates here and there during these months, with Trey and Zayn and some other people but I didn't take it too far. I only did it to move on and as far as I know it's working because I haven't thought about him at all thanks to Justin who took me on countless vacations and for my parents who'd always remind me how much I deserve to be happy and Justine and Jake who stayed by my side every single time i needed someone and should I mention Miranda? She did drown me in countless hours of work daily but it kept me busy and from thinking about Ethan.