Chapter Four

I let my head slowly fall until it makes contact with the bench. A small boom echoes around my tiny kitchen and I sigh sleepily. Today was horrible, the worst day I ever had. After the maths class with Tyson, I pretty much zoned out for the remaining 4 periods. When I finally got home, it was like I just entered heaven. But then I realised tomorrow I wouldn’t be going to school and I wouldn’t be coming back home for a month. This baby project thing sucks.
I’m knocked out of my thoughts when I feel a hand on my back. Startled, I lift my head up only to find chocolate brown eyes gazing back at me.
“Mum you scared me..” I say quietly, resting my head on my hand. My Mum chuckles and makes her way to the sink, which I noticed had already been filled with soapy water.
“I’m guessing you found out about your new project today?” She said cheekily, not daring to look back at me. I lift my head and look directly at her. Of course she knew, the teachers weren’t just going to send us away for a month, living with a boy, without our parents consent.
“You knew?! How come you didn’t warn me, Mum! I would have, I don’t know, jumped off a cliff or something.” My shocked voice gradually turns into a grumble as I realise how immature I sound. My mum turns to look at me, a small smile on her face. I feel like screaming, this is not the time to be smiling.
“I think this project will be good for you. Learn how hard it is to be a mother, hopefully you won’t turn out to be a pregnant teenager like your sister.” My mum seemed to realise what she had said and she turned around, returning to her scrubbing.
“Im sorry sweetie, I knew you loved Leslie, we all did. I should have kept my mouth shut.” She sounded sorry and I felt like walking over and giving her a hug, but my feet wouldn’t work.
“It’s alright Mum, I’m used to it.” I say back slowly. I’ve never been able to talk about my sisters death. It was so sudden, so quick. It took us all by surprise. My friends think she died because of a sickness, if only they knew the truth.
Mum went silent for a minute, before she began to talk again.
“So, who were you paired with today honey?” She asked, a fake cheery tone to her voice.
I sigh and grumble an answer, “Rowley”
I see my mum turn around and she smiles before she bursts out laughing.
“The little cutie Rowley? I always pictured you two together!” She says between giggles.
I shake my head, “No mum,just no.” But I can’t help it and a small smile appears on my face. I love my mum.
My bag laid in front of me, wide open and ready to be filled with clothes and other necessities. I run my fingers through my hair as I think of what to pack. The project was tomorrow and I was not ready to spend a month with Rowley and a screaming baby. I sigh as I make my way over to the dresser pulling open the top drawer. Underwear and Bra’s look up at me. I grab a handful of both items and stuff them into the bag before opening the second drawer. Shirts. I sift through them throwing the decent ones onto my pink and white bed. Shoving that drawer shut I pull open the next one. Pants, shorts and skirts. I scowl, this is so boring but I know I have to get it over and done with,
Finally after twenty long minutes my case is stuffed with clothes, makeup and other necessities. I sit down on my bed and glance around at my room. White lace curtain are covering the windows, but allow enough moonlight to stream through. My pink carpet feels soft under my feet and my bed is bouncy. This will be my last night in this bed for one month. I feel like ripping my head off just to get out of this project. I glance at the clock, it’s 9:00. Might as well go to sleep now. I gently push the case off my bed and climb under the covers. My eyes shut slowly as I take in a deep breath.
And them my phone rings. The annoying song rings through my ears and I yank the covers off of me before practically running to the phone which is just on my cupboard. The caller ID is familiar as it lights up the screen.
“Sarah?” I question as I press answer. Immediately loud sobs sound through the phone.
“Oh Maya, Maya help me. He cheated on me, he broke my heart.”
I listen closely. Who cheated on her? Her boyfriend was a sweet football player that we’ve grown up with, his name was Stefan and he’d never do anything like that to Sarah.
“Sarah why would Stefan do that to you? I ask quietly, feeling so sorry for my best friend. I wish I was there holding here instead of comforting her through an electronic device. I hear the sobs stop.
“Stefan? I’m not talking about Stefan!” She cries into the phone. I feel my heart do a flip.
“We’ll then who?” I ask confused
“Tyson Maya, Tyson cheated on me.”
Tyson?