Chapter Twenty Eight

Can I just say thank you all SO much for reading this. I can't believe The Baby Project has 116k reads!! It's insane!! Thank you ALL <3

-

When I woke up, the sun filtered through the window and hit my eyes. Scrunching my face, I brought my arm up to shield myself from the rays, taking in a deep breath and sighing. 'Time to get ready for school', I thought, before suddenly I removed my arm and closed my eyes. 'No, it isn't.' Because today was ditching day. After agreeing with Tyson yesterday to spend today with him, I was stressing about it all night. Slowly, I opened my eyes and looked at the clock on my beside table. 7:00am. I guess I could sleep in for a few more hours? But wait, wouldn't Mum come and wake me? I was about to give in to defeat when I realised Mum had work early today, so she shouldn't be there to tell me to get up. Looks like sleep it is.

But I couldn't sleep, no matter how much I tried I couldn't force my eyes to shut or make my brain take me away to the dreamland. Instead I stayed awake, thinking up all the possible worst outcomes that today could have. What if I missed a test? Or an important assignment? But then I remembered Sarah and Angelica and knew that there was no way I was going to school today, not with those two waiting for me. Thinking about Sarah made my heart shatter, so I quickly jumped up from my bed with a glance at the clock. 8:00. 

I made my way down to the kitchen easily, taking my time as I stepped down each step, my eyes focusing on the photos on the wall beside me. I didn't realise I was smiling until I could feel the strain in my cheek muscles, so I gave a little laugh and made my way into the kitchen.

I had no idea what to have for breakfast. Toast? Cereal? Was there a special 'i'm ditching school for the first time ever' breakfast? I settled on strawberry jam toast with a glass of orange juice. I ate it easily, managing to swallow it despite the rebelling butterflies in my stomach. After I had finished, I chucked the dishes into the sink and made my way up to my room again, sitting on the edge of my bed.

I reached for my phone, and found myself frowning when I saw I had no new messages. Putting it back, I looked around my room, and realised I didn't know what to do. Usually at this time I'd almost be ready to head out the door, but here I am, still in my pjs, sitting on my bed with messing hair.

Eventually I decided it'd probably be a good idea to have a shower, so I did. The hot water was relaxing and helped ease away some of the fears I was grasping about today. But, as soon as I stepped out of the warm cocoon, all the fearful thoughts came rushing back. But I pushed them away. Dressing myself into a white patterned dress.  I made my way over to the bed once again, and smiled when I saw my phone screen flashing. Grabbing it, I read the text.

"When do you want to meet up?" was the text I had gotten from Tyson. I thought for a moment. I wanted to go soon, to get on with it and let my fears slide away, but I also didn't want him to think I'm over-enthusiastic, so I settled with an hour from now. 

"How about 10?" I sent back, with a smiley face at the end. I got a reply in barely a minute.

"Sounds great, meet at Rosies?" A bigger smile came onto my face, we started at Rosie's yesterday and yesterday's date had turned out to be great.

"Awesome, see you then x" And send. But then I realised I had sent an x, and immediately I began to scold myself. An X Maya? Really? Isn't it too soon for that? He's going to think I'm crazy and clingy and weird. Ugh.

But when he sent back, "Seya xxx", my heart thumped in my chest and I realised I was being stupid. Tyson and I, we weren't just friends anymore, and as much as it shocked me to say, I wanted to send him x's and I wanted him to send them back. I wanted to spend the day with him, I couldn't wait to feel his lips on mine again or look into his chocolate-brown eyes. I wanted to see him, now.

"Actually, how about 15 minutes?" I texted back before I could stop myself.

"Okay! See you soon, then! x"

Woo, this was the Maya I wanted to be. I laughed to myself. If only the past Maya could see me now, sending texts to my possible boyfriend about hanging out with eachother on a school day. A big smile was on my face now, as I ran into the bathroom to do my makeup.

I decided I simple look would suffice, so I just put on some concealer,  foundation, a light pink lipgloss, mascara and some eyeliner. My hair was looking pretty good already, so I just ran my hand through it and sprayed some hairspray on. Smiling at my appearance, I quickly ran my drawers, deciding on what accessories to bring. I chose a simple shoulder bag, with a few gold bracelets and a pair of sunglasses, seeing that it was awfully sunny outside. I slipped on some black boots, and was ready to go. Grabbing my phone and slipping in into my bad, I made my way through the house, before leaving, locking the door with my house keys behind me.

I actually could not wait to see Tyson again, and was feeling pretty confident in what I was wearing. It felt odd, realising I wanted Tyson to be impressed, I wasn't sure if I liked the feeling or not.

I got to Rosie's a few minutes early, so I just sat outside on the green bench, my eyes drifting to the sky above me. I watched the clouds for moments, before I felt someone sit down beside me. I looked over, and smiled greatly when I saw it was Tyson. His brown hair was ruffled, yet it looked good. He had a tight fitting, long sleeved shirt on, black skinny jeans a pair of converse shoes. I quickly adverted my eyes from his bottom half, feeling a slight blush creep it's way onto my face.

"Hey." he said simply, his eyes quickly taking in my appearance. "You look great."

I smiled, giggling lightly, "Thank you. You don't look half bad, if I do say so myself." I said with a cheeky smile, and Tyson gave me my favourite 'crinkly eyed' smile.

"So, want to grab a coffee or something before I take you on this adventure?" he asked, and I felt my heart thump. Adventure?

"Definitely."