Chapter Twenty One

Can I just say a massive, massive thank you to everyone reading this. I never thought this 'silly' story would get readers like you, or over 50k reads. It may not be alot to the majority of you, but to me it's everything. My dream since I was younger was to be an author, and to one day publish a book. This experience is making me much more confident! Thank you all so so so so much, and I'll definitely try to update more frequently! I love you all xx ~ Tammie

"I snuck out of the hospital and now I have no idea where I am?" he said again, his voice heaving through the phone as if he has been running.

"Oh my god, Tyson what the hell?" I shouted back, standing up, the rug falling from my body.

I briskly walked to my room, where I threw on some boots and a cardigan. "Where are you? I'll come get you." I said through the phone, walking to the kitchen and grabbing the car keys from the bench before walking to the front door. My hand rested on the handle before I looked back.

"Mum, I'm just going for a drive!" I called, opening the door and blinking my eyes as the sunlight filtered through. I walked over to Mum's car, unlocking it before jumping in. It smelt good, Mum's car. Fresh and new. She had only bought it a month ago, yet the smell was still crisp. Starting up, I talked to Tyson once again.

"Okay, so where are you?" I asked. We were taken to a nearby city that had a hospital, so it wasn't our normal surroundings. Tyson could be anywhere and I wouldn't even know.

"Ahh, a park I think. Well there's a slide and some swings and one of those horse things that you sit on and it rocks." he muttered, and I nodded at his words, even though he could not see me.

"Shouldn't be too hard to find then. I'll call you when I get into the city." I stated, with a simple okay from the other end before I hung up.

Why did boys have to be so stupid? Honestly, why would you sneak out of a hospital. And how could you even sneak out of a hospital? He'd have to get past the nurses, the doctors, his Dad. Wow, he must be skilled.

My brain was talking for me, and all I could do was listen to it. As I drove down the known streets I fiddled with the radio, finally happy when I found a decent station and turned the music up a little louder.

I looked out the windows as I drove along. My neighborhood was very small and modern. The houses were all one story, with small frontyards that held pretty little gardens, and white picket fences. Yappy little dogs were often sat at the fence, their sly eyes watching anyone and anything that moved. I frowned slightly, as I drove past a garden that held a big golden dog, with fur that was long. It sat at the fenceline, it's tongue hanging from it's mouth. I was never allowed a dog. Mum said it'd just be another mouth to feed, and she didn't know if she could afford to feed someone else. Yet she could afford a new car.

Thinking about the new car made me laugh. It was her fault we needed a new car. Mum crashed it herself when she was driving home from work on night. It wasn't anything big, she just ran into a parked car and it busted up something. Mum said it was about time they got a new car anyway, so she used busting her old one as an excuse.

Even though I have my license, I still haven't got a car. Which is understandable. I don't have a job, so I wouldn't be able to pay for fuel. And my school is just a walk away anyway, so there's really no point.

Before long I realised I was out of my neighborhood, travelling along a kind of busy highway. Cars zoomed past me, all different makes and colours. I paid little attention to them, my focus on the road. Boy, if I trashed this car I'd be in for a treat when I got home. Eventually, a sign loomed up ahead.

"Almada City, 10kms". Finally, it was about time. I started to wonder now, why did Tyson escape? Did he just need a break from the hospital smell, the claustrophobic white rooms, the people in scrubs and coats. Maybe he needed a break from his Dad as well, which she could understand. He didn't seem like the nicest man in the world.

As I entered the city, I turned off of the highway. From what I saw on my ride home with my Mum, the city wasn't that big, it just happened to be alot bigger then my home town. I drove along, my eyes searching the streets beside me, looking for anything that resembled a park. I saw houses, trees, pathways. It was quite a nice little spot. Then I entered the more city part of Almada, larger buildings looming beside me. I passed a mall, people bustling around beside my car as I waited for a group of guys to cross the road. They all had shopping bags, full to the brim. Driving along again, I passed more shops. Grocers, Hair Salons, Pet Groomers, a whole variety. Eventually, I exited the main shopping street, and pulled onto another road, which somewhat looked familiar.

I realised a few minutes later why it did, as I passed the hospital I was in just earlier today. It's glass windows taunted me, making it look sleek and sly. I shuddered, I hate hospitals. The fact that they're full of death and sickness and misery was just horrible.

I pulled up beside a pathway before I drove away from the hospital, my hands rummaging through the car to find a map of somesort. But there was nothing. Classic Mum, unorganized. So, I decided I'd wait for someone to walk past and ask them for directions, I didn't want to keep Tyson waiting to long, god knows what trouble he'd get into.

The wait was about 10 minutes, but finally I saw a person walking along the pathway. I squinted my eyes as they got closer to my car, swearing I know her. And then it clicked. I rolled down the window and poked my head out.

"Tara?" I called. It was the nurse, from earlier. The lady who helped me find Tyson's room. She looked up from something in her hands, a phone, before she walked over to the side of my car.

"Do I know you-, oh wait. Maya?" she said, giving me a warm smile. Something about her was sweet, she made you feel like everything was okay and was going to be okay. I smiled back.

"Yeah, Maya." I stated, before diving in. "I was wondering if you could tell me where I could find a park around here? I'm just looking for a place to relax." I asked, watching her intently.

I saw her eyebrows furrow before she answered, "Oh yes! Just up this street, keep driving for a solid 5 minutes and then take a left, that street will take you directly there." she answered, and I nodded my head thankfully.

"Thank you!" I said happily, and she nodded her head back. She looked as if she might ask another question, one revolving around the fact that I was a patient earlier today and here I was alone, driving to a park in a city I wasn't used to. But I drove away before she could ask, because whether I liked it or not Tyson was the only thing on my mind.