Chapter Twenty Four

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone, gripping it tightly against my ear. I felt a million feeling rush through my body. Did I really want to speak to her?

"Oh my god, May may!" Sarah said into the phone, and I rolled my eyes. Usually, the nickname would make me smile but not today.

"What do you want?" I said back, a hint of bitterness tinting my words. I heard silence on the other end before Sarah got straight back into talking.

"Are you alright? The whole project was cancelled because of that disease threat, is it true, did your baby die?" she gushed. I felt tears prickle my eyes at the thought of Lilly. 

"Yes." was all I answered, barely managing to keep my voice from breaking.

"Wow." was all she said back, and I felt like hanging up.

"How was living with Tyson?" Sarah asked, and at the mention of his name my thoughts cascaded back to earlier, and the thought of his lips on mine and our bodies pressed together. I mentally shook my head to clear my thoughts.

"Fine." 

I heard Sarah sigh, "May may what's up? You definitely don't sound like yourself." 

I contemplated not asking her about the whole cheating on tyson thing, but my curiousity couldn't handle it and without realising my mouth was open and I was speaking words.

"When were you going to tell me about cheating on Tyson?" I spat into the phone, and I heard Sarah draw a breath in.

"He told you?!" she shouted, and I recoiled back against my pillow.

"I told the Asshole not to tell ANYONE and HE TELLS YOU." she roared, and I instantly regretted telling her.

"So it's true then." I answered. Part of me hoped that Sarah wouldn't have done something like that, hooked up with Tyson, cheated on him and kept it all a secret from me.

It was silent for a very long time, before I heard Sarah take a breath in and answer.

"Yes." was all she said, and tears began to build up in my eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me? I'm your bestfriend, and you didn't tell me. I tell you everything, Sarah, everything. And here you are, hooking up with a guy who hates-hated me behind my back, cheating on him with some other guy and all the while, I didn't know one single thing until you were hurt and you decided you needed a shoulder to cry on, when it was your fault he cheated on you back, Sarah, because YOU did it first. It's always been about YOU and only about YOU. You've never truly given to SHITS about ME."

The words came naturally, and I only realised just then I was yelling into the phone. I heard Mum call my name downstairs, asking if I was okay, but I ignored her for the time being.

It was silent for a minute, before I heard Sarah hang up and the 'beep beep beep' of the phone was left flickering into my ear. I slammed my phone down onto my bedside table, and pulled the covers up over my head, then I began to sob. All the emotions I had been keeping in, came out. A week ago, I was a normal teenager, but today, I was a mess, a girl who's project baby died, a girl who hadn't even thought about kissing but lost her first kiss today, a girl who drove without telling anyone to meet up with a guy who broke out of hospital, a girl who screamed at her bestfriend through the phone and has probably lost her forever.

 I don't remember going to sleep, but it must have happened, because next minute I blinked open my eyes to the morning light filtering through my window. I groggily wiped my eyes with my hand, half sitting up in my bed. I looked around the room, my eyes landing on the phone. I frowned, I wasn't upset about Sarah anymore, I was glad I lost her. Kind of.

A few minutes later Mum knocked on my door. "Come in." I answered, and she gently pushed it open, her gentle gaze setting itself on me.

"I was wondering if you were going to school today? You definitely don't have to sweetie, but I know how you are with your grades and everything. It's 7:00."

I definitely didn't want to go to school, to have everyone stare and me and ask me about Lilly, to see my ex-bestfriend who'll probably be casting me dirty looks every ten seconds. But I wanted to get out of bed, and I needed to get back to learning.

"Yes, definitely. I'll be up and ready soon." I said, and Mum smiled at me.

"Okay sweetie."

She left and once again I was by myself. Running a hand through my tangled hair, I got myself up and waddled to my bathroom, I didn't bother looking into the mirror, I just started the shower, dropped my clothes off and got in.

-

Half an hour later I was dressed, my makeup was done and my hair was in a messy top-knot. I sat at the  table with a bowl of cereal infront of me and a glass of orange juice.

I ate in silence, my Mum whistling away as she cleaned the dishes. I rolled my eyes, my Mum whistled no matter what she was doing, hanging out the clothes, cleaning, making food, anything.

When I had finished, she looked at me from the sink and smiled. "You walking with Sarah this morning?" 

I frowned,  shaking my head. "No I think she's walking with someone else today." I answered and Mum furrowed her eyebrows.

"Really? Why?" she asked. I sighed, did Mum's never know when to stop talking?

"I don't know." I answered back sourly, and regretted it as Mum shrugged her shoulders and turned away. I shook my head, grabbing my bowl and glass and putting them in the sink.

I ran up the stairs into my room, eyes landing on my bag. I walked over, unzipping it and looking inside. Files, pencil case, glasses, everything was in check. I zipped it up and swung it over my shoulder, bounding down the stairs again. Grabbing a waterbottle from the fridge I paused as I got to the front door,  "See you later Mum!" I called and heard her answered 'bye' from the kitchen.

The walk to school was pretty ordinary, the birds were flying above my head, the air was crisp and refreshing.

But it all changed when I got to school. Straight away people's eyes were looking at me, and I felt my anxiety raise. I kept my eyes on the ground as I shoved my way through the crowds, trying my best to ignore the 'her project baby died' 'her partner's in hospital'

When I got to my locker I shoved my bag inside, shutting the door and turned around. 

"Morning, Maya." Sarah said bitterly, standing infront of me. Angelica and some others girl stood beside her, all of them looking at me with an 'innocent yet guilty' look on their face.

"M-morning." I said back, and Sarah laughed, the other's joining in. They walked away, and as I watched their bodies disappear down the hall, I wondered when the hell had Sarah become friends with them?