Knowing

Veronica's POV

I raced into the hospital, Jared following right behind me.

I can't believe Riker was shot. This doesn't feel like real life. Nothing feels right. I know I'm not with him anymore but I still care about him.

He's still important to me. I stopped at the front desk and asked the nurse for his room number. She told me and as soon as the number left her mouth I ran. I ran down the hallway and to the elavator where I repeatedly tapped on the up button, impatiently waiting for the elevator to come down.

It finally dinged and the doors opened as it reached the bottom. I rushed into the elevator, Jared coming in right behind me. I tried to stay calm as I steadied my breathing and tapped my foot against the floor at a rapid pace.

I felt Jared's hand grab mine and I looked over to him. He gave me a kind and calming smile, which I returned to him. The elevator finally made it to the sixth floor which was where he was and dinged. The doors slowly opened but I ran through them before it could completely open. I made it to the waiting room.

My eyes scanned the room before finally landing on Dustin and Ross. Dustin looked up at me and frowned before shaking his head. That's when I knew.

I knew I needed him.

.....

Dustin's POV

I watched as Veronica started crying. Jared turned her around and wrapped his arms around her, trying to comfort her. I turned back around to Ross who still had some stray tears rolling down his face.

I wrapped my arms around his torso and pulled him closer as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders.

I felt his tears drop into my hair, one by one, and drip down and out. It was quite disgusting but I wasn't going to say anything.

I knew he needed me.

.....

Jared's POV

I held my baby in my arms and let her cry into my shirt. Her tears were soaking it but I didn't mind. I knew she needed this. She needed someone to comfort her and I was going to be that someone.

I whispered in her ear things like 'everything's going to be okay' and 'it's ok, it's ok, I got you'. I just let her cry.

I knew she needed me.

.....

Ross' POV

I cried into Dustin's hair. It was embarrassing but I could care less at the moment. I just lost my brother.

He was gone.

And there was no way to bring him back. There is no way to bring him back.

I just can't believe he's gone. I never thought I would lose him, especially not like this.

I just can't imagine I'm never going to see his smile again. Or hear his snarky comebacks. Or wrestle with him ever again.

I'm never going to be able to see him again.

So, I just stood there and cried into Dustin's hair, thankful that he wasn't grossed out. And if he was he wasn't saying it.

He knew I needed him.