f o u r t y n i n e

I wish I hadn't said yes to Anthony. It was only to take my mind off of Phil, but it's not working. I don't get the tingle I get with him like when I talk to Phil. He doesn't make me blush; and most importantly, he doesn't make me happy. He's loud and demanding, while Phil is soft and gentle.

The maths lesson ends and Phil is the first to meet me, followed by Anthony a few seconds later. I wish it was just Phil, no Anthony. We walk in silence, besides from a few words between Phil and I, Anthony just staring at me, until we find a table and benches outside and all sit down at it. 

"So, Phil," Anthony pipes up with his thick American accent. "What's so amazing about you that makes you Dan's friend."

"Don't..." I say quietly, hoping he'll stop. Phil doesn't deserve this because I'm selfish and want a distraction from him.

"I, uh, well- excuse me, I need the loo, I'll be right back," Phil says, getting up and walking away awkwardly. I hope he does come right back because I'd rather not be alone with a 6'5 jock who I hate.

"I hate him," Anthony says as soon as he's far enough away.

"Wh-why?"

"You kept talking about him yesterday when he wasn't here, plus he's a punk."

"He's my friend," I say, but my voice has shrunk and lost its volume.

"I'm your boyfriend, though."

"I'm sorry, I-"

He gets up and leaves. I don't want to follow, but I feel compelled to, so I stand up and run after him, almost forgetting about Phil, almost. I feel bad leaving him, but I'm scared to think about what will happen if I don't follow Anthony. Eventually, I reach his side, and we pass Pj and Chris, and then I hear a shout from behind us.

"Ooooh, Anthony's hanging out with his boyfriend!" 

"Chris! shut up, you idiot!" Pj hisses at him, but Anthony turns around, face red, and punches Chris in the stomach.

I feel bad. It's not me punching him, but it's my boyfriend. My boyfriend who I hate, but surely I'll warm up to him. I hated Phil once.

We start to walk away, and I turn to see Pj with his arm around Chris, so I mouth 'sorry' to them, followed by Chris mouthing what I'm guessing to be 'no problem' back to me.

"Why did you do that?" 

"Little shit deserved it. He was mocking me."

I giggle a little.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing," I say with another little giggle.

"You're cute." He states. It's not like when Phil compliments me. Phil says it with meaning, Anthony says it as if he has an intention. What that intention is, I don't know.