s e v e n t y s i x

Everything feels different now, but it isn't. Dan isn't a happy Dan, but I can't treat him differently because of it. He's my Dan, and I'm not going to let things change between us. I want to help, but I don't want to just help. I want to also smile with him, laugh with him, make him forget about this, and then maybe, just maybe, he'll be okay,

"Dan?" I say, after many moments of silence. It's not awkward though, and nothing ever is awkward, because I love him, and I should hope he loves me too.

"Yeah?" He answers, his t-shirt and hoodie both back on now. It's warm, he's surely too warm wearing a hoodie.

"You know, I don't want you to feel like you have to hide your scars, or feel self-conscious about them. I get it, but, I know they're there, and I'm not going to judge you about it, so you don't have to hide them. I don't like the way that they got there, but they're there now, and there's nothing that can be done about it, so I have no problem, because you, Daniel, are beautiful, okay, and I'm never going to let you forget that."

He blushes and hesitantly pulls his hoodie off. I don't let my eyes go to his arms, just looking at his face. There are scars there; so what? I wrap one of my arms around him, and he cuddles up to me, smiling. Is he happy? He's smiling, so maybe.

"Why are you smiling?"

"Because I'm happy."

"Oh really, and why's that?"

"Because you're here, and you make me happy, and you're just utterly perfect." He says, running a finger along the lines of my tattoos. Maybe I can make him happy.