Chapter 95

“I want to start you off slowly by teaching you how to balance and stuff so we’re just going to spend today just having fun and snowboarding down the hills really” Lily tells us.

It’s day 2 of Sweden and we’ve just met up with Lily to have our first ‘lesson’ of snowboarding for this competition. Lily’s just been telling us all about this competition and apparently, we have to go up and down this ‘halfpipe’ doing one trick at a time while judges give us a score out of 10. I just know it’s going to be me that will end up in hospital or something.

“We’ll be working on turns and I’ll teach you how to land and I’ll teach you how to make it look fluid like you’ve been on this board since you were kids. We’ll be ready to start doing a few simple tricks tomorrow. I’m not going to lie and say it’s going to be easy because it won’t, but what I will say is that if you all set your mind to it, you can do it” Lily smiles and we all nod.

“I’m shitting it” Jack whispers and I laugh under my breath.

“Okay so first of all, keep your eyes focused on what’s in front of you. If you turn your head to the side, you will fall which is what you we’re all doing yesterday when you were racing” she smirks and we all laugh. “Helmets and wrist guards are so important when you’re snowboarding so I’m happy to see you all wearing them today. Please, avoid trees at all costs. They don’t move. And finally, just have fun. Don’t take things too seriously unless you’re snowboarding towards a tree, building or another snowboarder”

“We’re snowboarders” Eleanor smiles proudly and I roll my eyes.

“Now let’s go!” Lily shouts, snowboarding down the steep hill. I remember her instructions: ‘if you turn your head to the side, you will fall’ and ‘avoid trees at all costs’. I shiver slightly before guiding myself down the hill, following behind Lily. I keep focused on what’s in front of me and try not to get too competitive in case I fall. She told me not to take this too seriously but I am taking it pretty seriously at the moment.

Shit, a tree. I swerve away from the upcoming tree and surprisingly make my way to the bottom of the hill without adding to the collection of bruises I already have.

“Well done!” Lily praises me, holding her hand up for a high five. I smile proudly and hit my hand at hers. We watch as the rest of the team slowly make their way down.

“I didn’t fall” Eleanor gasps.

“Okay, I’m proud of you all but that were shit. You need to look like you’re having fun and not taking things too seriously. You all looked to stiff up there. Just let loose!” Lily shakes her body around slightly. “Let’s go!”

After going up and down the hill uncountable times, we finally take a break inside the resort and sit down with a hot drink.

“I’m really proud of you all” Lily smiles. “I know I sound really strict but I’m just trying to tell you all to not take things seriously and just have fun up there. I don’t want to teach you how to snowboard if you’re not going to have fun by it. You’re on holiday! I’m not here to ruin it”

“It’s just so tiring” Eleanor moans.

“I know but you can stop whenever you like. I want you to feel comfortable around me and if you feel like I’m working you too hard just tell me to shut up and give you all a break. I want you to feel like I’m your friend, not your teacher” she laughs, making me smile. She does have a point. I feel like she was working us all hard but now that she puts it like this, she’s making me feel much more comfortable around her. “I didn’t think you’d all pick it up this easily so I think you can all take off for the rest of the day. You’ve done well” she nods and smiles at us all.