Chapter 43

Waking up at around 6:30am is becoming a bit of a habit now, which I love. After my morning routine (shower, hair, make-up, get changed...), I decide to go downstairs and make another amazing breakfast.

It’ll be weird having my Dad back now after living free for a week. I feel grounded when he’s here. I’ve not even told him about my best friend or my boyfriend. I’m just glad we’re off school for a week now.

I walk into the kitchen and make myself a yoghurt with strawberries in, before walking into the lounge to watch a bit of TV.

“Mum?” I see her reading in the living room.

“What are you doing up?” she asks me.

“I couldn’t get back to sleep, you?”

“Same” she laughs.

I sigh, “Dad will find out about Conor”

“What?”

“My wall is covered with pictures of us all in London. He’s going to find out”

“What’s wrong with that? He has to know eventually”

“He’ll go mental, especially seeing as I didn’t tell him about my relationship with them when it started. What do you think he’ll do?” I ask nervously.

“I don’t know what you’re so worked up about. He’ll probably just ask to meet the boys. They’re lovely so I’m sure he’ll like them and won’t mind you hanging around with them” she smiles.

“But what about when Conor comes round? We have to sit in the living room with you and my room is off guards?”

“Well, I think your Dad will have to get to know them first”

“For god sake” I sigh “Can I tell you something? You can’t tell Dad”

“Yeah sure, what is it?”

“I feel suffocated with Dad around. Like, I can’t even be myself around him anymore. That time when I told you about Ben, Jack and Conor, I just felt like I could trust you and everything and I treated you more like a best friend than a Mum. I couldn’t feel that before because I never told you something as big as what I did that day. And when you took us to London, it was great. I could be myself around you and I knew you wouldn’t judge me. And you treat Jack and Conor like they’re your own” I explain and she starts smiling at all the compliments I’m throwing at her. “But with Dad, it’s different. I feel like when he finds out about Conor, he’ll flip out and if Conor actually is able to step foot in this house, he won’t give us any privacy and he’ll be watching my every move. I don’t want it to be that way, you know?”

She frowns, “Lucy, you're acting as if you don't know your Dad anymore. In Cheshire, you got away with murder and you were both so close. He's not going to be mad at you for hanging around with boys and stuff, he might just be a little bit mad that you didn't tell him. He's still the same person as he was before we came here, he's just not around enough for you to see that”

I start sighing and she turns her whole body to me.

“If I were you, I’d tell the boys that your Dad doesn’t do ‘banter’, you know what they’re like” she laughs and I just smile. “Are you doing anything today?”

“Dunno” I shrug and the living room door opens. Dad...

“Morning” he smiles and sits next to me.

“How was Paris?” I ask him, trying to get on the good side of him before I tell him about the boys.

“It was great! I got you a present actually” he smiles. Wait, what? “Just let me go get it”