Chapter 13

We get cut off by Conor’s phone ringing.

How cliché.

He climbs off me and gets off the bed. I watch his face drop as he answers the call.

“Shit, I’ll be there in a second” he panics, ending the call.

“What was that about?” I frown, watching him put his shirt back on.

“Jack’s in trouble” he mumbles. I sort my hair out quickly and put my shoes on. “You’re not coming with me Lucy, you’re drunk”

“Yes I am. He’s my best friend”

“Fuck sake” he moans, running down the stairs.  He ignores his Mum asking where he’s going and bolts out the front door. I follow behind him and run to wherever Conor’s going. After about 3 minutes of running, we get to the park and see a huge group of people in a huddle, shouting stuff.

Conor quickly catches his breath back and runs over to the crowd.

“Get the fuck off him now” I hear Conor shout and hit someone.

Shit. They’re in a fight. I run over to them and see Jack sat on the floor, holding the blood coming out of his nose. Conor was punching the life out of the guy I suppose hit Jack, so I go over to Jack and help him up.

“Jack, are you ok?” I ask.

“I’ll be fine” he nods. I get a tissue out of my pocket and hold it to his nose. This is horrible. I feel sick watching Jack looking like this and Conor beating some guy up for doing it. I see Alex dragging Conor off this guy.

“You piece of shit” Conor shouts at the guy on the floor. He gets up and walks away, not saying anything back to Conor. Alex and Conor walk over to me and Jack. “Jack, I’m so sorry” Conor sighs, pulling Jack in for a hug. Why is he apologising?

“It’s not your fault. Besides, I got a few hits in” Jack laughs. None of us find anything funny and I’m still stood here, holding the tissue up for Jack. He’s so drunk, worse than last night. Mum’s going to go mental at me. I know it’s late.

“Jack we need to go home, you’re a mess” Conor says, holding Jack up.

“No Conor, I’m staying for another drink” he frowns. I take the tissue off his nose to see the blood smeared across his face. The bleeding has stopped though, thank god.

“No you’re not, come on” Conor argues, pulling Jack off me.

“Get off me” Jack snaps. “I’m having one more drink, ok?”

Conor sighs and just looks at his drunken brother. Jack picks up a fresh can of beer from the floor and starts drinking it. He looks and me then hands me a drink. I take it off him, not wanting to argue with him, but too drunk to say no to it anyway.

I take a mouthful of beer before looking at Conor, sat on the floor with his head in his hands. Jack grabs me and starts laughing.

“What?”

“I don’t know” he laughs again making me laugh. We fall to the floor and start laughing again. It's like a replay of last night, only this time, we’re on a park.

“Right, come on, we’re going home” Conor snaps, interrupting mine and Jack’s fun.

“But we’re having fun” I laugh with Jack.

“No Lucy, shut the fuck up. We’re going now”

“Fuck off, Conor” I snap.

“What did you just say?”