Chapter One

Journey|

I sprinted through the hallways as if I was Usain Bolt. I was the only one in the hallway everyone else had made it to their first periods on time. Of course, I would be late on the first day. Thankfully, my first period was Theatre.

I've took the class every year of high school. So, Mr. Cruz and I were pretty close. I was just in front of the door when the bell rung. The door slammed right in face. I mumbled curse words under my breath.

I knocked at the door, and looked around the hallways. Thankfully, Judy B. Thomas, the school's number one snitch, and hall monitor wasn't patrolling to deliver detention slips to all the late students yet.

The door swung open, and the young teacher stepped aside to let me in without a word. I thanked Mr. Cruz, and walked into the classroom. I looked up to see everyone eyeballing me. Damn, a lot of people decided to take Theatre this year.

There was a bunch of freshman, and sophomores whom I had no idea who they were; but there were some juniors and seniors, too. Two stood out, my best guy friend, Otto. He told me he had signed up for Theatre, but I didn't believe that the school's quarterback would actually sign up for such a class.

The boy was 6'7, and even though he was slim, he had the muscles of a Greek god. All the girls swooned when he walked by. He had a smile that could make your day, and a laugh that could make you piss your pants.

"Ayo, Foster," Otto yelled. He was sitting in the back, and he already had a chair saved for me. That made me realize the second senior in the room. Cameron Ramsey.

She was eyeballing me with curious, chocolate eyes. The seat Otto had saved me was right between her, and him. I cleared my throat, and scuffled over to my seat. Cameron kept her intimidating eyes on me. As I got closer, I noticed her eyes were red, and low. She was so high.

Trust me. I would know. From not only getting high myself, but from my parents being complete stoners. My parents have been smoking marijuana since they were in high school. Now my dad owns a successful home maintenance company, and my mom owns a bar downtown.

People always said that they wouldn't amount to anything, but now my parents could use one dollar bills as a perfect alternate to toilet paper. They had money to spend, even though it was hard to see; since they both still dressed in 80's fashion.

As I got closer, Cameron finally looked back down at her sketch pad. I wondered what possessed her to take this class. She was the school's number one badass. I can't picture her reciting sonnets, and monologues by Shakespeare.

I took my seat. "Alright, nice of you to join us, Miss Foster. How was your summer," Mr. Cruz asked. The man was completely handsome with his golden skin, scruffy beard, grey eyes, and professional undercut hairstyle. He looked more like a model than a Theatre teacher.

Everyone's eyes focused on me, even Cameron's. The freshmen looked at me with a glint in their eye, as if they were honored that I was in their class. "Uh, it was cool, man. I actually found time to see a Broadway show. I forgot what it was called though, because I was sleep during half of it."

Everyone laughed at me, some of the freshmen laughed too hard. "Well, at least you spent your time doing something...productive." The announcements came on, before Mr. Cruz could say anything else. We did the Pledge of Allegiance, and then listened to Principal Norman talk our head off about complete nonsense.

I glanced over at Cameron. She was working her pencil on the paper of her scrapbook. She had a passionate, focused adorable expression on her face. It looked like she was drawing a model of a car.