CHAPTER 17

Max took a seat on the porch step, placing the suitcase with the clothing next to him. He knew Mary needed time to talk to the girl, fuck he didn't even know her first name and he imprinted on her, and almost fucked her twice. Grant only gave his need-to-know information, time, place, and the girl in the wedding dress. Surname Crow.

He could feel her fear, confusion, and anger as if they were his own. Pulling his hand through his hair, he could only imagine how the discussion inside was going. But Mary had been right, he could feel his little captive's anxiety lessen with her presence.

But he needed to get his act together and fast. He was now bonded to this girl, there was no denying it, but he was also the Alpha of his pack and he needed to protect them at all costs. He had to figure out a way to keep them all safe.

He lowered his head in his hands, he sighed, rolling his shoulders to the back. He would need to finish the rite, then he would leave her alone until he could figure out what to do with her. Because he had no intention of being anyone's mate. His parents had shown him exactly how well equipt Kahli's were in having Mates, and he didn't need something that would consume him so wholly that he would forget his responsibilities to the Pack.

Picking up the suitcase again, he jolted to a stop, the feeling of such raw hopelessness rushed through him. Max jolted the few steps into the cabin seeing the girl laying on the sofa, Mary standing breathless next to her.

"What happened," Max asked moving and crouching next to her. "Fainted, didn't take the news all that well ... I told her everything ... well except that you will have to finish the rite ... I'll leave that to you, goodness child, I'm out of breath and way too old to be dragging people around" huffing she walked to the fridge and pulled out two beers, handing him one.

Mary placed dinner in the warm tray in the oven, then finished her beer, unpacked the suitcase, and excused herself. Explaining that she was way too old and had already missed her bedtime.

Max had made Hanna as comfortable as possible on the sofa, but he needed to go for a run to burn off some of the sexual tension burning through him, even if the run was several times around the cabin. Grabbing a shirt, he tended the fire and leaned over Hanna one more time, making sure she was okay, before forcing himself toward the door. Max welcomed the chilling crisp bite of the cold as it nipped at his exposed arms, neck, and face. Taking a few lungs full of air he started his jog around the cabin.

'Seventy-four' Max counted the next lap, sudden flashes of kissing and biting his little captive almost tripped him, seeing her naked body, feeling her velvet soft skin under his fingers, attacked his mind again. He felt himself stir as desire burned anew at his insides. He could feel her lips on his, her hands running through his hair, he could hear her soft moan ... it was so realistic like she was right there with him. Max knew he only had himself to blame, he had made the bond stronger with the large amount of blood he took from the girl.

He mentally growled out of pleasure when he heard his naughty little captive moan again in his mind. Unintentionally he reached for her mind, not thinking about actually talking to her, more to himself as he groaned huskily "Better stop that my little captive, or you'll make me come in there and finish what we started," unawares, he spoke to her using the mental connection bonded mates shared. "You like tempting me, keep this up and I won't have any control over myself," he said his voice filled with desire and hunger. The images left his mind instantaneously as the girl withdrew her thoughts, he could feel her embarrassment and smell her lust out here; "Shit, well that's new ..." Max laughed as the realization of what just happened dawned on him. Their bond was already so strong, that they could connect mentally without completing the rite, "Fuck" he groaned a few seconds later at the thought of how strong the bond would be when the rite was completed.

"You'd better go take a long swim, boy," he sarcastically said to himself as he phased into his wolf form and ran towards the lake not trusting himself near the girl at that moment.