CHAPTER 12

Max saw her running. He knew she was scared, and that it meant she would run fast or hide deep. He also knew that the only way to find her was to phase again and go after her. But he was tired after his earlier run and his body needed the rest. So Max decided to first find where his little captive had escaped from and secure the breach. As soon as he entered the bedroom he saw the open window. So he quickly removed the inside handles and nailed it shut from the outside. Then while he was at it he removed the key from the bathroom door, not needing the headache it would create later on.

Annoyed and angry he picked up the dress she discarded on the floor as well as one of his grey sweatpants, then slowly made a new fire in both the bedroom as well as the living room of the cabin. He sat back in front of the roaring fire for a minute and looked around at the rugged and rustic cabin,

The cabin is old, but still mesmerizing, with dark wooden furniture, plush, cream cushions on the sofa in front of the bricked-in fireplace, a small wooden bench to the side, for extra seating if needed, a dark drown rug under the furniture, although no photos adorned the walls, it had a warm glow, cozy feel, magically alluring senses.

The temperature continued to drop outside. Time to catch his prey he sighed irritatedly as he walked outside and phased into his wolf form. He picked up her scent easily enough and found her within a few minutes. But he wasn't prepared for what he found though. Her body shaking from the cold, her feet were bloody from the forest floor, and deep and bloody scratches over her legs and arms, he saw the tiredness on her face and the terrified look on her face when she saw him. She screamed at the sight of him, and fell, hurting her foot. He could smell her fear and knew why. He knew what she saw. A five-foot wolf, a deadly monster, who wouldn't be scared out of their mind.

Too tired to stay in his wolf form, Max started to phase into his human form, the action took him by surprise because it meant that his wolf didn't sense danger from her, usually, his body wouldn't leave form, even if he was almost dead, or so exhaustion he could sleep for days, still his wolf wouldn't allow, didn't allow him to phase around humans.

He tried not to care about the horror written over her face, the way her chest was heaving as she hyperventilated at what scene in front of her. No, he couldn't care now, he needed to get her back to the cabin, warm her up, and tend to her wounds. So he did the only thing he could think of, he grabbed her and threw her over his shoulder, carrying her off.