CHAPTER 37

Hanna's head ached and pounded, every thump shot pain through her body, agony buzzing in her ears. Paralyzing fear locked her body down. She opened her eyes slightly and called for Max, but darkness slipped over her again pulling her away.

She woke up again much later to soft classical music playing near her. Lavender filled her senses. She opened her eyes looking at the rose-painted ceiling. Her eyes adjusted, Hanna was definitely not in their cabin. She was in a bed covered with thick velvet bedding and an amazing amount of throw pillows. She sat up slowly, her hand against her forehead, as she took in her surroundings. Her gaze fell on what she was wearing. It was her old nightgown from home, the one her Mother had bought her. She looked confusingly at the bandages around her shoulder. She rotated and moved it a few times backward and forward expecting to feel some sort of pain, but there was nothing.

A sudden rush of memories assaulted her mind as if a dense fog lifted from it. She remembered the Dinner with Max and Mary, the euphoric feeling of Max's mouth and body, then seeing a man dressed in black, hearing the shots as Max fell, and then the incredible pain as one bullet tore through her body.

Hanna looked at her shoulder again, amazed that there wasn't even the slightest bit of pain, and then she remembered the time Max had quickly healed after he had cut his hand on the beer bottle, it was one of his Wolfy things. Hanna wondered if she, too, was able to heal as fast as Max. She thought it wise to rather leave the bandages on seeing that nobody would believe such a quick recovery to be normal.

Hanna quickly got out of bed. She looked around the room, although, very luxurious, was plain and cold. The paintings were all landscapes and the interior of the room was bold dark pieces of red and dark brown. She looked out the window and a dreadful gasp tore from her lungs as she realized where she was... the James Manor. She looked around for her clothes but could only find a robe which she decided would have to do for now. She needed to find Max.

Tieing the robe, Hanna noticed that her wedding band, a beautifully elegant rose gold band, was missing from her hand, now replaced by the gigantic diamond engagement ring Grant had given her. Hanna wondered how Grant could have found it as she recalled Max putting it in the safe at the cabin. She doubted if he had a replica made, pulling the ring off as fast as she could, she placed it on the dressing table. Hanna rubbed desperately over her mark and saw that it was a faint light brown, she wasn't in any pain, which meant Max couldn't be far. Trying to connect to Max using their mental link she pushed towards him "Max can you can hear me? Where are you... please tell me you're safe. I love you," she wiled him to answer her or give her a sign, but there was nothing. She knew she had to find him.

Hanna turned the handle on the door, quietly opened it, and followed the long hallway out. She had never been in this part of Grant's house. The only time she'd ever been there was the day her Father had told her about the marriage arraignment. Grant had put on quite the show. He had invited Hanna's whole family over for drinks to celebrate the occasion.

Hanna went down the stairs. Once on the ground floor, more and more she remembered the layout and quickly found her way to the study. Dodging two servants, she slid through the big, heavy wooden doors, closing them behind her, and made her way behind the desk, picking up the telephone. She was just about to call her father when she heard the library's door slam shut and a chilling voice filled the room. "Hanna Dear, you're awake. What are you doing in the study? Who are you calling? Put down the phone Dear" James asked his voice filled with destained.

Hanna froze as James slowly approached her. She put the phone down not breaking eye contact with him. "James... I was calling My father. I woke up alone...I was scared... my head hurts..." she lied. "How did you find me? Where are my parents?" she played confused. "How long have I been here?"

James walked around his desk, ushering her away, to one of the armchairs in front of his desk, she had to physically refrain from pulling away from his cold fingers around her arm "I'm glad you are feeling better" James walked behind his desk again taking a seat "About two days. Your Father knows of your return. Since I bravely rescued you from that madman in the woods, myself and Lord Crow have become good friends," he smiled smugly but Hanna could clearly pick up the bitting undertone in his words. "We were all so worried, we searched everywhere, my dear. But do not fret, you're safe now." He said standing and pouring himself a double shot of an amber liquid in a crystal decanter and downing it before sighing out loud "You know Hanna dear, the doctor said you should be off your feet, rest, back to your room" She looked at him confused, he was evading the most important question, one she desperately needed to know....where was Max...

She watched as he lazily took a cigarette from his pocket. A nasty habit, she thought as he lit it, bowling the pungent white cloud into the air. Reluctantly, Hanna sat back in the chair. "You must have been so very scared," pulled in a deep breath, cherry glowing red... blowing smoke through his nose "Being up there... in that cabin alone with that madman?" pulled in a deep breath, cherry glowing red... blowing smoke through his nose "But do not worry, my dear, he won't be hurting you anymore" pulled in a deep breath, cherry glowing red... blowing smoke through his nose "And more good news is our wedding shall proceed without any further delays. You are very fortunate that we found you in that forsaken small town when we did, and I apologize for my bad aim. Grandfather always said I was a bad shot" James said nonchalantly, taking another pull of his cigarette, cherry glowing red... blowing smoke through his nose and pointing at her shoulder.

A chill ran down her spine, James had been the shooter. Had he shot Max as well? Hanna's mind went frantic as she recalled the moments before she had been shot. She mentally reached for Max. Confused Hanna stared into James's eyes. Had Grant known where she had been the whole time?... He had been the one who contracted Max to kidnap her.