Chapter 21

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground.

-Teddy Roosevelt.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

"So. . .are you ready to meet them?" Ceci asked while leaning on the wall with a smile on her face and her arms crossed. 

I turned around from the mirror where I was tying up my hair with one of the hugest smiles on my own, excited face and looked at her with huge eyes. "Ready? It's been three months since I've met them face to face. Any of them! I'm more than ready! I can't wait!" I rambled on and on, getting on my feet and pacing around like every time I did when I was too excited. "Mom's gonna wear blue. A hundred percent. And dad?" I thought it over for a second. "Yellow? Green? Something like that. And the boys? Well, they're unpredictable. I'm not even gonna try to guess what they wear, you know? Oh my god, Ceci. I have this weird feeling in my stomach. Ugh, I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait. This is all I've been thinking about for three days. Three days!" I shook my head in disbelief.

To be very honest, I half- expected her to stop me midway through my absolutely nonsensical rambling, but surprisingly that didn't quite happen. When I turned around to comment on that, my heart completely broke at what I saw.

My excited demeanor started to fade away as I stared at Ceci until all that was left was a fixed shocked expression. She still had the smile on her face, but it seemed too forced. On top of that, she looked like she was going to cry any second. I knew that face. It's like putting on a mask that's slipping away. A mask that's breaking right through your own fingers. A mask that hides you

Wordlessly, I took three large steps to her and gave her a tight hug.

She completely broke as soon as I wrapped my arms around her and the tears started flowing out like a waterfall. "You're so lucky, Sam. You're so lucky," she laughs in between her sobs. "I can't even remember the last time my parents came to visit me. They're always away, you know? Always out on business. Probably trying to avoid the daughter they were unfortunate to have--"

"Don't think about it like that. You know that's not true. They love you. I love you--"

"No. No one does."

"Are you crazy?! What are you talking about? Everyone loves you, Ceci! You're the prettiest, most talented and not to mention, one of the most crazily, and amazingly awesome people out there! And I'm pretty sure that deep down you know that what I'm saying is right," my voice softened down as I stared right into her eyes. "You were my first and best friend the second I stepped in here and I don't regret that because Ceci you are amazing. And don't you forget that."

She tightened her hold on me as her tears dripped down one by one right across her face. I could feel her wet tears soaking right through my shirt and right onto my shoulder, but I couldn't care less about it. Right now, my friend needs me and I am going to be there for her. The feeling of someone else crying and my absolute helplessness to do anything once again shook me to the core and left me feeling like throwing up.

I took deep breaths in. This was for her. I'm helping her. Don't break down, Sam. It's her who needs help right now. She needs your support. Stop being such a baby. No, Sam. Don't. Please. I'm begging you. Please. Don't make me seem weak again. Please. She needs your help right now. She's trusting you. Please, Sam. Don't cry. Stay strong. 

Stay strong.

Stay strong.

Come on, Sam.