Chapter 2

My dad pulled over to the University I was going to attend and I stepped out.

It took me a moment to take everything in. Students were walking around in the area, some with their friends and some without. There was a wide, beige building standing in front of me in a mile's distance and a huge board containing one red arrow pointing to the reception where all the newbies were supposed to line up. Well, I guess that's where I go then.

I took a deep breath and turned to face my dad.

"Have a good time here, kiddo," my dad said, rubbing my arm for comfort, "Always know that we are there for you."

"Thanks dad," I said.

"Bye, Sam," he bid.

I didn't say more and just hugged him really tight. All I wanted right now was support cause who knows when we'll see each other the next time? It might be soon, but it may as well be quite far from soon as well. And the fact that I haven't gone away from my parents for a week in the past two years didn't help either.

"You sure you want to go in by yourself?" he confirmed one last time, raising his brow to check up on me. He was just being the over-protective dad he always has been. But he had to understand that this was my decision. My life. A new beginning.

I nodded my head. "I'll miss you."

"Same here," he said and went for another hug. Soon after, he went into the car and gave me a sad smile before pulling away. Once the car was out of sight, I turned around, facing the college once again and picked up my not-so-very-light bags. 

Following the directions of the boards to the reception, I made my way to the reception only to find a long line of students who were also waiting for their guides. I groaned internally.

The line was getting longer and longer by each passing minute leaving me to wonder how they were going to manage so many students. How do they even have so many dorms in this place?

Oh, right. They're making us share. 

It was approximately an hour and a half until my turn finally came.

"Name?" the lady asked.

"Samantha Anderson," I replied, trying my best not to tell her that in a shaky voice due to my nervousness. 

She nodded, adjusting her glasses to the bridge of her nose and clicking on the keyboard fast. Once she seemed to have found the information she needed, she pointed at one of the guides at the left-most corner of the room.

"You go with the first guide over there, but they'll be leaving in another hour or so. You can take a seat in the meantime," she told me.

Once again, I groaned internally as I didn't want to get on anybody's bad side on the first day.

I nodded at her before offering her a small smile and taking a seat which was the nearest to my guide. The man, who was my guide, looked as if he was in his late forties and had few gray hair appearing on the left side of his scalp. Apart from that, he had an expressionless face as he held the board up the board saying "Guide 1". 

With a deep sigh, I scanned the reception which was still increasing in the number of students. Since I had nothing to do, I took out my phone and played on it. It was the only source of entertainment apart from the nervous kids, including me, at that time.

Forty-five minutes passed by in a blur and I soon found myself in an urgent need to go to the washroom. Perfect. Why does this have to happen to me?!

"Excuse me?" I asked the lady who had asked my name earlier on, "Do you know where the washroom is?"

She shot me an annoyed look and settled by nodding her head, "Take a left from here and continue going straight until you see the sign. From there take a right turn." Well, that would be easy to follow! Just... keep it in your head, Sam.