Chapter 3

Three

Spring gave Winterfell a reason to shine, with the flowers blooming earlier than expected and birds singing sweetly. Arianne could not help but notice the sombre mood inside the dining hall, where her father had called her and her siblings too, and it made her want to shatter the joyful one outside.

He had just broken the news to his four offspring that only three of them would be attending the great Tourney that was to be held in Harrenhal. Brandon, Lyanna, and Benjen would all be packing their trunks and leaving in a sennight for the occasion; but Arianne ironically was to be held back to stay at home and continue her lessons while her father decided who was to be the best possible suitor for her.

"Father, please can I go?" She asked once more, begging almost. "If everyone else is going, I'm sure it'll be safe enough for me to go." Her pleas, however, fell on deaf ears. Her father raised his hand to indicate that he wanted her silence. If it would take a tantrum for her father to change his mind, then a tantrum she would have.

"Arianne, you are not safe unless I am present, we have discussed this already," Rickard sighed looking down at the young girl. He sat at the Lord's Table, with a large scroll in front of him. The letter read;

Rickard Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Lord Paramount & Warden of the North:

Lord Walter Whent & Lady Shella Whent of Harrenhal, extend their invitation to you, your family, and bannermen to celebrate the maidenhood of their daughter Lady Merida Whent. A Tourney is to be held in her honour and is to last ten days; let it be known to your men that there will be jousting, archery and swordsmanship competitions with prizes in gold and jewels to be given as rewards. Ten grand jousts and ten grand feasts. Arrive at Harrenhal by the third full moon of spring.

With regard,

Lord Walter Whent and Lady Shella Whent of Harrenhal.

Rickard could not fathom why Lord Whent would not merely state that they were invited to Harrenhal, but then again the Southerners enjoyed over complicating even the smallest of matters.

"Is it not right that Lyanna not go?" Arianne questioned much to Lyanna's dismay.

Lyanna, whom truly wanted her sister to accompany them, shook her head. "Father knows I can care for myself just fine." She piped.

Arianne turned to her expecting a but to follow, though it did not. Lyanna could not deny that being the only female representing her family would suit her better, even if she was betrothed. It would cause less raised brows and fewer questions asked. Deep down, however, she knew it was her selfish desire to have the attention of the nobility on her and her only. Something she did not have the delight of since her father had brought Arianne as a babe to Winterfell.

Suddenly, it did not matter to the maids so much if she skipped a step and grazed her knee so much, but rather if the new babe in the cradle was fed, bathed and burped enough. She had to give credit though; the attention began to wonder when Benjen was born, her mother opting to coo at him rather than play with her.

"Lyanna is to meet her betrothed. You have no betrothed," Rickard, pointed out.

To which Arianne mumbled, "I would if you let me free for once."

"I heard that." He turned his gaze from his daughter back to the scroll, sighing.

He knew this day would come when he wanted to keep her shielded, and she was willed enough to fight against him. Lilia had warned him. Watch your pace she is Dornish. We Dornish women do not like restrictions. However, he would hear none of it. As far as he was concerned, she was raised in the North as a Northern woman. Maybe Lilia had had a stronger influence on her than he would have liked. Recently he noticed how she would mimic her actions though he was sure she did not knowexactly why she did, her handmaiden did so she did.