Chapter 19

Nineteen

The Red Keep - Kingslanding

The castle gates lurched open as the party made their way into the courtyard. She hadn't even been inside of the castle and her breath had already been taken away. The small view that she did get, without Rhaegar obstructing it, was one of the greatest towers she had seen and it was looming over the cramped city. As its name pointed out, it was red and boasted an air of extreme wealth and seclusion. Arianne knew that it would be very different from Winterfell, where it was almost vital for the Lord of the castle to know his workers. She wondered if the King even knew the names of those who dressed and undressed him.

The carriage stopped and she heard instructions shouted out. The door to the carriage was pulled open by a young boy who couldn't have been any older than her. His head was bowed low, but she could see that aside from the dirt and sweat, he was attractive. "Your gra-"

He was cut off though by Ser Jonothor Darry hitting him across the head, a man Arianne had grown used to seeing mistreat the servants that followed them on their journey. "You were told to open the door, not to speak boy."

"It's alright," Arianne said as she stepped down from the carriage and onto the dusty floor. "I'm sure he meant no harm." Ser Darry bowed his head, clenched his teeth, and backed away. Arianne moved aside for Ashara and Elia, not wanting to give Ashara one more reason to loathe her and looked down at the boy. "What's your name?" She asked him.

He looked up at her, his face contracted tightly and he looked almost as if he had stopped breathing. "Alexi, Lady Dayne."

Arianne bit her lip and nodded her head. "Well Alexi, my name is Arianne Sand. Though I understand descriptions are to blame for your fault. This is Lady Dayne." Arianne said, pointing out Ashara to the boy.

Ashara tutted and clung to the sleepy Elia's arm. "She introduces us to servants!" she whispered, steering her quickly to her room.

"She doesn't like me too much," Arianne sighed. "Anyway, I would like to employ you, Alexi. As my personal...well I'll think of something. I would like you, personally to bring my bags to my room. Ask Ser Darry to help you, if necessary."

"Yes, my lady," Alexi smiled rushing to speak with Ser Darry and inform him of his new status.

Rhaella tutted and shook her head. "I would rather our own men bring your trunks to your room."

"I'm sure they have more than enough to feed themselves," Arianne shrugged.

"Arianne, it's not a matter of money rathe-"

"Is my mother boring you with her political talk? If yes blink once, if no blink twice," Rhaegar snickered. He had taken off his armour and was dressed in his usual attire.

Arianne shook her head. "Of course not, her grace could never bore me. She was just teaching me a few life lessons is all."

Rhaegar groaned and rolled his eyes. "Am I about to be bored, my lady?"

"I was merely telling her that she can't just employ servants for roles they aren't assigned," Rhaella smiled, rolling her eyes back at her son.

"I don't see why she can't. They're employed to do what we ask of them either way, are they not?"

"When you put it like that, it seems dehumanising."

"Spare me your liberal thoughts dove. But next time you do something like that, ask me first," Rhaegar pointed out.

Arianne looked up at him frowning. "Why?" She asked.

Rhaella sensed tension brewing and craned her neck, waiting impatiently for her maids and ladies-in-waiting to escort her back to her room. When she saw none of them she lifted a finger at particularly nothing, let out a small "ah" and walked away from them.

Rhaegar seemed taken aback. "Because I am to be your husband and you will need to ask me before you do things such as that."

Arianne blinked aimlessly and shook her head once. "Need to ask you?"

Rhaegar looked around for a moment and then back down at her. "We will discuss this later when you're rested and comfortable."

"Rhaegar, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking me?" Arianne asked, ignoring his statement.

His face flushed red and he clicked his tongue. "That you be an obedient and respectful wife." And with that, he vanished off behind the large doors that led inside of the castle.

Arianne wasn't left on her own for too long though. Six girls surrounded her as soon as Rhaegar left and bowed their heads.

One with brunette hair and a stout figure stepped forward. "My lady, I am Lady Penelope Manwoody of Dorne, and here to help you adjust to life at the Red Keep. They is Nymella Toland and Alyse Ladybright," she said pointing to the two well-dressed girls out of the five behind her, "and we will be your temporary ladies in waiting until you have decided who you choose from a selection."

"A selection? I won't be able to invite any?" Arianne frowned.

Penelope shook her head and grimaced as she led her through the very same doors that Rhaegar had stormed out of. "I'm afraid not, my lady."

"But the Queen and Princess were given choices."

"I am only the messenger. I cannot give you reasons as to why. Now, we have drawn a bath for you in your room and have prepared a wardrobe I know will make you very happy. From what we've heard, you have a knack for dresses and we didn't want to let you down."

She was promptly led to her room, where Alexi stood waiting for her arrival. "My lady," he said bowing his head. "I did not know who you were, but when Ser Darry told me, I said to meself that I can't let you pay me. If you are to be my Queen then I will work for you for nothin'," he professed, holding his head up high.

Arianne blinked to him and so did the six girls behind her. "Uhm, I don't think the announcement's been made yet Alexi," she said raising her brows.

He looked behind her at the shocked girls and let out an "oh" and scurrying away.

"Queen?" Penelope piped smiling at Arianne.

Arianne looked at her uncomfortably. "Well, nothing is decided yet, and not until the King passes which I pray won't be for a long time."

Penelope sensed her discomfort, whispered something to Nymella and Alyse, who in turn whispered to the handmaidens who bowed and left. "On all the Gods and faiths, we would happily call Prince Rhaegar and the Prince Viserys our Kings."

"Prince Viserys?"

Penelope laughed leading her into the room where her trunks had been tucked away in a corner. "Well...your betrothed of course. I mean, the age gap is ridiculous but at least Prince Viserys won't be burdened with the shame of a baron as a wife." Nymella and Alyse nodded their head in agreement.

"Oh, you think..." Arianne laughed shaking her head. "No no, the King hasn't proposed I marry anyone."

"What!? Then why are you here?" Penelope cried out, letting go of Arianne's hand which she had been so affectionately touching not a moment ago.

"I've been asking myself the same thing," Arianne said rolling her eyes and scanning the room. The conversation had made her forget to remember to take a proper look at it. Unlike her room at Winterfell, this one seemed to be begging to occupied. It was big, far too big for one person to comfortably sleep in it alone, and held an air of relaxation to it. With a lounge, vanity, four poster bed and eating table spaciously placed. She smiled to herself a little.

"I suppose I was just meant to reject the King? Have many done that here?" Arianne snapped. 

The tallest girl of the group stepped forward to Arianne and clasped her hand. "You lucky bitch."

"Nymella!"

...