Chapter 48

Visenya

Kingslanding

"Hello daughter," Aerys said, sitting upon the throne and paying her the attention she had asked of him. "I presume this is important, I have cleared my court for this."

Arianne cleared her throat, unable to look at him for no longer than a few moments. She gazed up at Rhaegar, who sent her a knowing smile, and then to Rhaella, who looked away from her in shame. "I am with child. Maester Pycelle has told me it is a girl."

There was a short silence, none of the three knowing exactly how to respond. "All the more reason for me to have those Dornish bastards of your killed," Aerys laughed, his words directed to Rhaegar.

There would be no need for that, Rhaegar told himself. He had written to Elia since she had so conveniently forgotten that those were the grandchildren of a Mad King she had taken and told her to flee Dorne and not tell anyone where she had gone. Oberyn had written back, confirming she had left, easing Rhaegar's mind a little. When Aerys was dead she could return, and he could see his children.

Standing from the throne Aerys neared Arianne. He walked down the steps, granted it did take him a while, past his Kingsguard and placed a hand on her stomach. "You have done your father proud. Finally, a true line is secured." Aerys lifted his cold hand and turned back around, leaving the Throne Room through the back doors.

Rhaella, who had waited for the doors to close behind the Kingsguard rushed down the steps and brought Arianne into a hug. She did not say any words, her body saying them all for her. I'm sorry. Congratulations. I love you dearly. Rhaella sensed an agitated Rhaegar behind her, she kissed Arianne on the cheek. "I am so proud of you." And so Serene would be. "Of both of you," she repeated, turning to Rhaegar and patting his chest. She moved out of the way, turning to leave the same way that Aerys had. Rhaella sniffed, trying to keep from crying as she moved into the private passage that led to her quarters. She could not believe that her son was having another child, and her second son had been sent away. She could not believe she'd be bringing another child into the world that Aerys had created.

Arianne looked up at Rhaegar expectedly, unsure of what to make of his expression. He was unsure if she would be comforted by his touch, so he placed a hand on her hand. "You are having a daughter," Rhaegar smiled coyly. Arianne nodded, there was so much she had wanted to say to him. "You are having my daughter. She will be called Visenya, Visenya the dragon-rider." Rhaegar smiled, resting his hand on her stomach. Exactly where Aerys hand had been only a few moments earlier. The only difference being that Arianne enjoyed his touch, and it seemed whatever was inside her did as well. Her whole body warmed up, and she pulled Rhaegar in for a hug.

"I'm sorry-,"

Rhaegar placed an elegant finger on her lips. "Don't be. I understand."

"Kiss me," Arianne smiled, pulling him in closer.

Rhaegar smiled, placing a sweet kiss on her lips. They tasted of strawberries and lemon cakes, he wondered if Visenya would be born addicted to sweets as Arianne was.

In all honesty, he was nervous. They hadn't been close in a moon, and he was never one to sleep with another. Well ... there were Cersei and Alyse, but they didn't count. If anything, they were there to keep his bed warm and lend an ear to listen to his troubles when he was feeling overwhelmed, and when Arianne had left him to fend for himself when she had ignored him. But now he had Arianne and there was nothing anyone could do to change that, he was to father a child with a woman he himself had chosen, even if it was indirectly. "Come," Rhaegar whispered, taking her hand in his and leading the way from out of the Throne Room. "Don't follow us," he told the guards behind him, indicating to the sword that was at his hip. The guards dressed in Targaryen armour stepped back and bowed.