Chapter 35

Thirty - five 

The sun shone through the lightly coloured curtains; Arianne had woken from the deep slumber that had held her since she had retired from her own celebrations. After Cersei had that more than an interesting conversation with her, rather than confront Rhaegar in front of his drunken friends she decided it would be best to talk to him with a level head. She could confirm that she did not, in fact, have a level head, rather the opposite, she was even more infuriated with him.

Rolling over onto her back she reached for the red and black ring from the nightstand and fiddled with it, trying to come up with viable reasons as to why it had been in Cersei's possession. Getting up from the bed in a huff she gazed out into the small garden that Rhaegar had shown to her the night before. Although it was small, she liked the thought of having her own quarters away from everyone else. Besides, this meant that Nymella and the other girls would take twice as long to reach her, and she could bathe and dress for the first time in a long time.

After taken a cold bath to cool from the morning heat and getting dressed in the dress from the day before, Arianne left her quarters, remembering to take Rhaegar's ring along with her. When she swung her door open, she was greeted by the sight of the Targaryen guards she had seen the night before and Jaime Lannister. The had been sat on the floor, eyes shut and mouths ajar.

"Good morning," she chimed, stepping over them and crossing her arms behind her back. There was a scurry behind her and clanking of metal and chainmail as the three stood up and walked briskly behind her.

Jaime, with his lips pursed and rubbing the sleep from his eyes, skipped in front of her. "Sorry, my lady."

Arianne looked at him with a puzzled face, "I never thought I'd hear a Lannister call a bastard my lady."

Jaime ignored the question and placed his helm onto his head, his golden hair matting under it. "Where to my lady?" His muffled voice came.

"Rhaegar's room, please," Arianne responded.

"Would my lady not prefer breakfast first?" Jaime asked once more, mentioning to the hallway, which they were now passing, and the large breakfast set out for her at the dining table.

Arianne was taken aback by the set-up; in Winterfell, it was a feast if lemon cakes were involved in breakfast but the set up here put it to shame. There was fruits she had never seen, sweets scattered around the table, pies of all colours and textures and a large jar of wine right in the middle of the oak table.

"Who is joining me?" Arianne queered, making her way to the table in wonder.

Jaime shrugged his shoulders, pointing to the two Targaryen guards dressed in black to stand at the opening of the hallway. He stood next to Arianne as she sat down at the head of the table and three servants came to prepare her plates.

"Oh, I can do that myself thank you," Arianne fussed, taking the plate from one of the girls who had placed some diced fruit onto it. 

"Of course my lady," the servant whispered letting the plate go from her shaky hands and backing away from the table. 

Arianne looked at the three girls who had just been scrambling to get her meal ready. "Well ... there isn't much to do, you are excused for the day." She said, nodding her head as if to agree with herself. 

The girl who had put her plate down for her stepped forward, unsure if she would be out of place for saying what she was about to say. "Excuse me my lady but Prince Rhaegar asked we do not leave this area at all, and we are only excused when you are not here. And well-" she fiddled with her fingers, "his word is stronger than yours."