Chapter 44

Happy

Kingslanding

The sky had turned dark, but the Keep and its surrounding city had no intention of sleeping anytime soon. Aerys had retired early, both tired and paranoid. He told Arianne that he was not approving of her charity to the common people and that their grain was special. Arianne did not mind though, her and Rhaella had planned far too long for her to change the promises that she had made via messengers to the common people. They were promised food and wine, they would receive it. Besides, she was sure many of them were going hungry and what would really happen to the leftover food?

Aerys had made sure to remind Rhaegar and Arianne, however, that he would be visiting them in their chambers come time to consummate their marriage. "You are to send for a servant," he said before shuffling off. Arianne couldn't help but remember Rhaegar telling her of Aerys sitting in and watching his wedding night with Elia as well. She decided the best thing to do was get as drunk as possible.

Rhaella had also retired early, congratulating the young couple by kissing them both on the forehead. "I'm very tired, I hope you enjoyed your day though." Her behaviour had been very odd recently. Interacting well with Arianne as they planned for the wedding but during the wedding feast, she had avoided most contact and kept to herself.

"Thank you, mother it was beautiful," Rhaegar smiled, placing one hand over Arianne's shoulder.

Arianne stood from her seat and hugged Rhaella, "yes thank you. You have been far too kind to me."

Throughout the long night, many people came to sit by both Rhaegar and Arianne, denying the two any time to have a private conversation. Lyanna was first to come to Arianne, complaining of Robert.

"I'm going to run away. I can't take his whoring and his drunkenness," Lyanna proclaimed, looking out into the crowd and watching as Robert groped a woman. "He talks of making the eight like that is some sort of achievement. I can't believe he is to be Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. I can't believe he is who father has chosen for me. I refuse."

"Oh Lyanna, don't be ridiculous!" Arianne said, rolling her eyes, the wine reaching her head very quickly. "Robert is a handsome man and I'm sure has good nature. Besides perhaps whoring will keep him from your bed ... if you hate him so much."

Lyanna sent her a scowl, "it's easy for you to say, your life just fell into place. And thank you for your advice, I'll try to remember it when I'm in Storms End, alone, in a cold castle, with that." Lyanna turned once more to look at the laughing Robert.

"Find a lover then," Arianne snapped back. This was her wedding day and somehow Lyanna had managed to make it about herself. Lyanna scoffed and rose from her seat, leaving in a huff. A part of Arianne told her to call her back, but she chose against. She sat back in her seat and overheard her foster father muttering to Rhaegar.

"The North stands with you, whatever you need of us, we will serve it."

"What are you two conspiring?" Arianne asked, placing her hand on Rhaegar's shoulder.

"Just letting Rhaegar know that if he ever needs to get away from you, we are with him," Rickard responded moving closer to Arianne. "Lilia sends her best wishes as well; I didn't get a chance to tell you earlier."

"Thank you. How is she by the way!?"

Rickard contemplated whether to tell Arianne of her lost babe but decided not to. This was her wedding day, there was always time for that. "She's good, missing you greatly. I'll be sure to send her to you once I arrive home. She doesn't send too many letters though, I think she's too bored to even write now."