Chapter 24

Twenty - Four

Riverlands - Riverrun

Catelyn could not believe that her wedding day had come so quickly. She felt it just yesterday she had met Brandon at the Tourney, and she couldn't help but feel that the little food she had eaten that morning was going to come out as soon as she had to words.

"Stop worrying so much," Shella sighed, stroking the young girl's arm.

Catelyn smiled at her, took her hand in her own and squeezed it. "Thank you for everything you have done. I'm afraid Lysa was too angry at me to even pretend to care and Lyanna though kind is useless with these things."

"Nonsense. Merida and I were glad of the distraction. But now, all I fear is your journey to Winterfell. It will be a long and lonely one. I don't know why Lord Brandon doesn't allow you to go to Storms End and Kingslanding with them," she sighed, feeling sorry for Catelyn.

Catelyn looked at her aunt as if to say really now? "Do you think I would miss an opportunity to attend two weddings of my good-sisters? No. I will convince him to take me. I know I can."

"Did you enjoy your breakfast? I didn't know that the Northern's could be so kind when gifting," Shella smiled.

Catelyn let out a snort. "Pelts are not kind aunt."

Shella scoffed at her niece. "Once you hit the Northern barrier, you'll wish you had more. Many, many more."

Catelyn shrugged her shoulders, "I'll get used to it."

"Like you were going to get used to the awful green dress you were planning on wearing? Honestly, it's a miracle I was here to save you from embarrassment."

"Shella!" Catelyn gasped.

Shella shrugged, not knowing what it was she said wrong. "You are a virgin. White, cream or ivory are the only colours I can allow you to wear."

"I still can't believe that Lysa would take your mothers jewellery," Lyanna laughed, mocking their gossiping tones as she walked into the room.

Catelyn shook her head at Lyanna. "We don't know she took them."

"They vanished the night before your wedding, she took them," Lyanna responded.

"Well I still have Brandon's crown," Catelyn smiled.

"Diadem. Call it crown and it will look like the Starks are wanting back their titles," Shella reminded her.

Lyanna sent a flat smile her way, after a short silence, she asked."When do you plan on changing into your dress? Brandon's wedding breakfast has just ended."

"I should change now I suppose." And as if on cue, her maids began to ready the room for her. The cream coloured dress and was sprayed with freshwater pearls and displays of flowers was exchanged for her day wear, her shoes for comfortable white slippers. Her long red hair was twisted into an elaborate style, and her veil was put into place with the diadem that Brandon had gifted her with the night before.

"Well that was quick," Lyanna said, her eyes wide.

"You don't know how many times we've practised," she mumbled. Her maids nodding along with her.

Lyanna pursed her lips. "I say this as a sister...but you're a little bit obsessive."

"I know," Catelyn sighed biting her lip. She fiddled with her pearl necklace around her neck and began pacing the room.

"Well, your father said he'd come and fetch you once the guests were in the Sept and the Septon has almost finished saying the first prayers with Brandon. He said something about not wanting you to wait outside in the cold air too long," Lyanna quoted. "We should probably go and change too." She said, indicating to Shella that now was a good time to leave Catelyn alone.