Chapter 49

Old Gods

The North - Winterfell

Lyanna moved around in her dress uncomfortably. She gazed behind her at the two guards who had been appointed to making sure she wouldn't try to do anything reckless. "I wasn't going to kill myself you know," she said, crossing her arms over her chest as she watched a maid lace up her shoes. The guards ignored her, staring blankly past her. She was mentioning to the time, two days ago to be exact, when she had tried to jump from her bedroom window.

She would do anything if it meant she wouldn't marry Robert, but Brandon was adamant she did. He agreed her terms of marrying by the Old Gods in Winterfell, where her mother and father were married. She wanted to do it at the weirwood tree, as many Starks before had done. But reminded her that the next day she had to leave with Robert to Storms End.

"My men are tired, we went to Harrenhal, we went to Riverrun, we went to Kingslanding and now we are here on our way Winterfell – all by your commands. They miss their wives, children and their home. They, and I, want to go home to Storms End," Robert stressed to Brandon, they were both leading their parties north and both perched on top of their horses.

"You can leave as soon as you're married for all I care," Brandon responded, he was in no mood for pleasantries and certainty for jokes.

Robert assumed as much, "will you call to arms? Tell me now before I start marching my men home."

"No," Brandon shook his head. He had thought about it, something he rarely did. Thinking before acting. But Ned had convinced him now was not the time to strike, they could avenge their father another time. Now was the time to return home to Winterfell, burn the whore's belongings and think. Well those were Brandon's words. "I want peace now Robert." More than anything he wanted to show his lords that they could trust him, for when it did come time to go into battle, they would follow him blindly into it.

"The Prince means to usurp his father, with as little blood as possible," Robert said.

"And how do you know this?"

"He told us, at Harrenhal. You were meant to stand in with your father but he and the Prince Oberyn didn't trust your hot-headed tongue," Robert replied, laughing. "He has everyone by the balls with his handsome face and handsome voice. His father is his only weakness."

"You are speaking of treason," Brandon warned Robert, wanting to remind him they were not alone on the road. "In more ways than one."

"As you should be, your father was killed in cold blood Brandon. Shot dead by your own foster-,"

"I know!" Brandon snapped back, "I know."

He had to admit, he wanted to take a sword, any sword, and slice the King in half there and then. He wanted to call his bannermen from the North to meet him at Kingslanding, there and then. But he couldn't, he'd lose, and pride was the downfall of many men. He had seen it first-hand. Brandon knew his father was smart, but he knew him proud as well. To think Aerys would let the title of Lord Paramount keep him from burning him was ludicrous. He knew better now, Aerys was to be attacked when he was at his weakest. And thanks to Robert he knew now that would be when Rhaegar was away from his side. That is what Brandon would wait for.

Robert sighed, "Lyanna will be safe with me, you don't have to worry about her if you do decide to rebel."

Lyanna had overheard it all, and her name on Robert's lips disgusted her. There was a knock on her door, drawing her attention from her shoes to Brandon, who was stood at the door with his arms over his chest. "Are you ready?" He asked her.