Chapter 23

Twenty - Three

Riverlands – Riverrun

"We haven't had a chance to talk, as a family should," Rickard Stark mumbled, looking to his three present children. Lyanna smiled at her father and nodded her head eagerly. He had already said his hellos and you've grown sentiments to Ned, who took the compliments wholeheartedly and puffed his chest out in confidence. The silent wolf was pleased about little many things, but this was one of them. A father's praise to a son was as rare as the sighting of the comet. They had been admiring the view before their father had interrupted them and called them to his room.

"Benjen has joined the watch," Ned piped. "I got a letter from Maester Aemon."

Rickard let out a chuckle. "I suppose he did not see fit to have a wife and holdfast." There wasn't much I could tempt him with that could keep him away. He thought to himself.

"Well, I know that wedding preparations are going swimmingly," Lyanna smiled letting out a snort. She waited for her brothers and father to understand the pun. "Swimmingly? Because we're with the Tully's?" There was still no response. She rolled her eyes at their lack of sense of humour.

Rickard cleared his throat, unamused by his daughter's childish humour. "Brandon, Lord Tully and I thought it best you present Catelyn with the diadem. For young lover's sake."

"We aren't in love, I am simply fulfilling my duty as you taught me to," Brandon responded. Rickard nodded his head, understanding and picked up the case that held the precious heirloom, giving it to Brandon, who in turn jammed it into his coat pocket.

"Is everything alright father?" Lyanna asked, frowning at his gloom exterior.

Rickard nodded his head. "My children are leaving me, little by little. It saddens me is all."

"We'll get her back. They can't marry her without the approval of a father," Brandon snapped, angered that his father had given up hope.

Rickard scoffed. "Lord Tully has had word from Tywin Lannister, his children have been called to court. They haven't been able to return home."

"For what reason?" Lyanna asked.

Rickard sighed. "For what other reason? To keep the young and impressionable away from their families. The King believes everyone to be conspiring against him. Especially after the Blackfyre's."

Brandon let out a huff. "Why on earth would he want a bastard daughter as a wife for his heir father? I have given it much thought. Not even lowly lords take bastards as their wives, why a King?" Brandon questioned.

"Brandon. Your wedding is in two nights, you ought to start thinking ahead, for your own sanity," Rickard said, fearful his son was becoming too smart, too quickly.

Brandon ignored him, standing from his seat. "Quite peculiar the timing of it all. It makes one think, why would father travel to Dorne? I mean, the Queen's Dornish friends would all have been piled high at the Red Keep. So what was in Dorne that was so interesting for you father?"

"Brandon," Rickard warned.

"Arianne was brought home, four moons after Benjen's birth was she not. Now, if maester Wyllis had taught me anything of the female body, it was that my wife, gods be good, would birth a child in a matter of nine moons after conceiving. Now, we all remember mother waddling around Winterfell with child, with Benjen and father being present. We also remember she had Benjen two moons after you left. Well, I remember, and so did Wyllis, according to his extensive documentation."