Chapter 32

Thirty - Two

"You swear to protect the king from harm or threat?" The high sparrow spoke, his voice never wavering, obviously being used to the large crowd that was in front of him.

"I do," Jaime responded. He had been surrounded by the other Kingsguard, who on orders of the King had said farewell to their golden armour for one that was a dusty black and had a roaring three-headed dragon imprinted on it. Jaime looked at them, not knowing who was who, except for Ser Jonothor Darry, who towered over the others in height and build. They had their swords held in front of them, and the King stood behind them. Jaime searched the crowds for his father, who was nowhere to be seen. He'd thought he'd of made some effort to watch him be sworn in.

"You swear to provide the same protection that you will give to the King to the royal family, mistresses and bastards alike?"

"I do."

"To follow orders from the King, other blood royals, the Hand and the Small Council?"

"I do."

"To serve the King's pleasure's?"

"I do."

"To keep the King's secrets and take them with you to the grave?"

So dramatic. Jaime thought to himself, but nonetheless nodded his head and responded. "I do."

"To protect the King's name and his honour?"

"I do."

"To father no children, hold no wives or homes?"

Jaime's eyes flashed to Cersei, who nodded her head for him to go on. Her eyes pushing him on, "I do."

"Do you promise to protect the Targaryen name? Hold them as your true Kings and Queens, never to rebel against them nor their name?"

"I do."

The high Sparrow sighed and held out his hand and placed it on Jaime's golden hair. "With the Seven looking down on us, I hereby swear you into the holy brotherhood of the Kingsguard. Ser Jaime Lannister." The Sparrow removed his head, moved aside to allow the squires to shuffle in and hand Jaime his new black helm and quickly changed his own Lannister armour into one of the Kingsguard. As rehearsed the night before, once he had been dressed, he walked over to the King who carelessly touched his left and right elbows with a sword and then to the Lord Commander, Ser Gerold, who gave him his own sword. All the while, Jaime wondered how Aerys did anything with the nails he had, it was a miracle he was able to even pick up the damned sword.

Rhaegar was the first one to start the applause, smiling at the newly appointed Kingsguard. He turned to his wife, who held a stiff face and then to Arianne, who was stood at his right side. "Enjoyed it?" He asked over the loud applause.

Arianne clapped along with him and she nodded her head. "I'm just scared to go back out there," she honestly replied. They had made their way to the Sept on foot, past the hundreds and thousands who had gathered to see the Prince and their King. Ned, who had never seen such a thing, looked at Arianne in bewilderment and she nudged him along. Rhaegar had kindly given him a room in his guest house after a Dornish family had departed from Kingslanding, and Arianne made sure he was grateful. Even if he was grateful, the room was a long walk for both brother and sister, who had become inseparable ever since he had arrived. Ned had also received a letter from his brother Brandon, who told him that they were almost at Winterfell. Apparently, Lyanna was grateful to separate from Robert and the Baratheon party so much so that she smiled from sunrise to sundown every day since. 

"He looks depressed," Ned said to his sister, watching as Jaime followed the other six Kingsguard up the steps to where they stood, the King in between them. Rhaegar, the Queen and Elia had caught up with him, walking out of the Sept together.