Chapter 43

No Goodbyes

Kingslanding

Elia sighed as Rhaenys squirmed in her hands. She had not attended the wedding of Rhaegar and Arianne as she was too busy making sure that the children and their belongings were waiting for the Dornish envoy by the waters that led to Dorne. She had been left by the maids not too long ago, with a sleeping Aegon on the floor and in a comfortable basket and two Dornish guards that would escort her home.

"It's too noisy," Rhaenys cried, she had been restless since the morning and was upset she hadn't seen her father in a long time. "I want papa!"

"Papa is busy darling, soon," Elia responded, unsure of what else to tell her. Elia huffed, looking up to the sky and trying to ignore the sound of loud music, laughter and chattering that came from the Keep. Not too long ago she was the blushing bride that caused those sounds, but she had to forget about that now. Rhaegar had his fantasy of a prophecy ingrained in his head, and Elia refused to envy them. She refused to be apart of them, and she refused to allow her children to get mixed up in them. She'd be better off in Dorne with her brother Oberyn, Ashara and her sister Arianne Martell – someone she missed dearly. Besides, she missed her brother, Prince Doran, greatly as well - and she was sure he was licking his wounds after Harrenhal. There was much to sort out in Dorne.

A loud clanking sound neared them, and Elia snapped her head sideways. It was Arthur, running towards her – Ashara, Oberyn and Merida Whent not too far behind him. "Hi," Arthur smiled, taking Elia and Rhaenys in his arms, "Sorry we managed to just slip away."

"It's okay, the boat hasn't arrived yet," Elia smiled, handing Rhaenys to Ashara, who screamed in resistance. "Rhaenys darling stop it now," Elia said, patting her back soothingly.

"I told you, I want papa!" Rhaenys shouted out.

Oberyn tutted, taking Rhaenys from Ashara. "You call yourself a soon to be mother," he said indicating to her growing stomach, Ashara rolled her eyes in response. "Come to uncle Oberyn my pretty snake, what's upsetting you? Would you like to play with my knife?" Rhaenys' eyes lit up and she snatched the gold covered knife from Oberyn's hands, waving it around and making swish sounds.

Elia laughed at their interaction, knowing all too well Rhaenys was about to become Oberyn's favourite pass time in Dorne. "Come with us," she said to Arthur, running her hands through his hair.

"I am a Kingsguard," Arthur said, "you know I can't."

"Leave them to burn it alone Arthur, you know it's all going to go to shit soon," Elia sighed, taking his hand in hers.

"Rhaegar is my closest friend, I have to be here with him. I promise you, we'll meet again soon," Arthur responded. Even if he wanted to, he couldn't, they both knew the punishment for abandoning the Kingsguard was certain execution. "I should be the one convincing you to stay."

"I love Rhaegar and I wish him nothing but the best, but he'll kill our children if they stay there. It's not me I care about. They are protected in Dorne," Elia said, looking down to Aegon. He was oddly a peaceful baby.

"We'll miss them and you," Arthur said kissing her forehead.

"A sister for a sister," Ashara piped up, pushing past Elia and hugging her brother.

Elia scoffed, "hey, you can't interject lovers."

"Stinky," Ashara responded in a joking manner. She mentioned for the nearing boat, "I just want one last goodbye before I leave. Take care of yourself, Ser Arthur Dayne."

"I will, you stay with them as long as you need," Arthur whispered, hugging his sister tightly. "And take care of Starfall, I know our brother tries but he needs you ... eventually. Or find him a wife."

"Hmm," Ashara sighed, kissing his cheek. "Take care of our sister as well. I fear the King will not be at peace for long." She moved away to give Elia and Arthur some time together, picking up Aegon in his basket. "Come Oberyn."

"Bye lover boy," Oberyn called out, waving his free arm, signalling for the boat. It stopped a short way away from the rocky land and two figures jumped out, pushing it on the rocks to make it easier for its new passengers to climb in.

"Ta ta lover boy!" Rhaenys called after him, giggling as Oberyn pinched her. She still had her talent of copying things she knew she was not meant to. "Let's go to papa's secret pond!" Rhaenys cried out.

"She's never going to let it go," Elia tutted, looking after her restless daughter.

Arthur laughed after her, watching as Oberyn and Merida forced the screaming child onto the boat. He turned back around to Elia, "I will miss you."

Elia pulled him for a short kiss, placing a pendant, that she had kept in her dress pocket, around his neck as she did. "Until we meet again my knight." She hugged him one last time and clambered onto the boat. The Dornishmen who had brought the boat pushed it back into the water and jumped back on. Elia turned from her seat, making out Arthur's shape in the darkening night.

Arthur tucked the pendant under his shirt and waved. The boat floating away into the darkness, with Rhaenys' cries for her father leaving echo's behind.

He made his way back to the wedding party, slowly at that, the day had tired him. Watching his sister, the one he had always known existed, as she was walked down the aisle by the Mad King. In a sense, he was her father. But it was sad still. His mother wasn't there to watch and that hurt him. And now Ashara was leaving him all alone, to build some sort of brotherly relationship with Arianne and start her own family, albeit alone. Arthur laughed to himself, who could the father of her child be?

There was a rustling from his side as Arthur made his way back through the private gates, Arthur placed his hand at his sword. "Who goes!?"

A woman stumbled from a bush, she had been hiding and held her hands up. "Lady Nymella?" Arthur queered, squinting his eyes.

"No?" Nymella whispered back, there was a chuckle from behind her. "Shut up!"

"Ser Jaime?" Arthur called out, recognising his golden hair amid the bushes.

"Fuck no," a tall figure stood from the behind Nymella and hugged her from behind. "His much more attractive cousin, Edward. It's a pleasure to meet you but now you have to piss off. We're busy," Edward said, shooing Arthur with his hand.

Nymella slapped it down, watching Arthur shake his head and disappear back into the Keep. "He's a Kingsguard! He is Arthur Dayne."

"And I am exceptionally horny!" exclaimed back to her, pulling her into a kiss. "Come back to me Nymella" Edward sighed, throwing himself back into the bushes and waiting with outstretched arms for Nymella.

Just once, Nymella thought to herself, stepping back into the privacy that was the bushes.

...