Chapter Seven ~ Oh My Finnigan!

Hello my amazing readers! Sorry for the cliffhanger ;)

I’ll get straight to it then,

Don’t forget to vote, comment, tell a friend, fan and ENJOY! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The look on Jasper’s face was enough to make anyone’s blood run cold. “What do you mean one of the shooters was Lucian?!” His voice was low and shook with anger he fought to control. “That is IMPOSSIBLE!” He yelled. I flinched and he lowered his voice sending me an apologetic look with his eyes, before returning his attention to Will. “I made damn sure that he was dead after what he did to Felix.”

The silence thickened and was shattered moments later with the sound of gunshots not far away. “It’s too late!” Will yelled. “They’re here. HURRY!”

I saw Will run to the side and didn’t have any time to register before Jasper was pulling me towards the back of the house, the gunshots getting closer.

“Jasper, my car!”

“We can’t go back now, there’s no time! I’ll buy you a new one if we survive this. Run!” I didn’t like the sound of if, but when Jasper and my lives were the prize I would run as fast and as long as I could.

Out the back door he led me through the thick trees into the bush behind his house, turning this way and that venturing deeper and deeper into the vegetation.

The gunshots were going off in the distance still but without the same harshness as before, as my ears got used to the sound.

My breath was getting shorter and I’d lost track of how long we’d been running for. Suddenly the trees opened up into a clearing. The wind picked up the lifeless leaves which were scattered across the thirsty landscape as I looked up to where Jasper was leading me. The shape in the distance I realised was an abandoned mansion. It had no garden in the space before me but vines captured the house in its deadly snare.

He paused, closed his eyes listening for the signs of pursuit. “Come on Renn, they can’t be far behind.” I knew he liked it when I called him Renn, the corner of his mouth tilted up into the shadow of a smile and his eyes opened. I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the mansion.

By now our breaths were short and laboured pants. Running around to the back of the house, Jasper kicked down the old wooden door and we hurried inside.

“This way.” He led me to a rickety old staircase in the corner of one of the rooms. I eyed it wearily.

“I’m not going on that thing. It looks as if it’s about to collapse!” Sighing he lifted me off the ground and ran up the stairs with me in his arms. I hit his shoulder when he finally put me down. “Don’t ever do that again!” I squeaked out. He chuckled and opened the attic door. It creaked noisily and we walked inside. It was dark and musty, each steep displacing a cloud of dust which I fought not to choke on. The air smelt stale as I sucked in lungfuls trying to catch my breath.

Running for my life seemed as if it had become a regular part of my day, but I don’t regret saving Jasper one bit. “Are they-”

“Shhhh.” He silenced me with a kiss but it was cut short when we heard heavy footsteps on the stairs. Jasper slapped his hand over my mouth before I could make a noise and gently tip toed to the corner of the attic where we hid behind stacks of cardboard boxes covered in layers of dust.

He held my hand as we waited in the dark room waiting for fate to find us.

The door creaked open and I swear I nearly died from anticipation right there. Regret for everything ran through my head. I would never graduate, start university, have kids … the list went on and on.