Chapter Six: The Ordeal of a Personal Assistant ✔️

The Ordeal of a Personal Assistant

Sooner or later, Audrey's first day of a personal assistant commenced. She ignored her never ending thoughts about what might happen on her first day. She just had to wait and see for herself.

She never knew when to wake up even if she had a variety of alarm clocks. She woke up this morning on her couch with Ben and Jerry's ice cream on her hand. Her mouth felt sticky and her lips tasted the leftover creamy, chocolate ice cream. She rushed to the bathroom and got dressed in a plain white polo and wore a long skirt overall over it. In a rush, she didn't comb her hair and left it in a messy braid.

The morning didn't start so well. In a rush to get to Jacob's office, the elevators were all packed and a long line of people followed.

"I'll just take the stairs." Audrey groaned, looking at the many steps she had until reaching the highest floor but at least, she got exercise. What a relief it was when she reached the exit door of the twentieth floor.

Sandra and Lexie gave Audrey a malicious stare as she panted harder than a dog. Audrey shook the awkwardness out, breaking the silence. "Ran those stairs," she boasted. "Well, gotta to go!"

"What is she doing here, again?" Lexie questioned but Sandra just shrugged her shoulders in response.

Audrey entered without knocking, hoping Jacob hasn't arrived yet.

His office was still dark. Audrey opened the blinds behind Jacob's desk to illuminate the dim room. A sudden voice echoed throughout the room. It alarmed her so much that she had her hand on her chest.

"First day on the job and you're late,"Jacob said. The sunlight beamed on his face, but it didn't seem to blind him so much. It made the scene much thrilling.

"Lights," he commanded and the room was lit up completely.

"Traffic, remember?" Audrey responded, panting out of breath.

"Yes, I remember," he said. "It occurs all around the world."

"It was just a minute or so. I can't be that late," Audrey argued.

"Yes, a minute is considered late," Jacob replied. "I expect you to arrive on the exact time which is nine o'clock. Get use to it."

Audrey just nodded her head and looked down.

"For your daily duty, you will run to StarBucks and get me coffee. That's your responsibility," he ordered as he headed to his desk.

"What! Ridiculous!" she exclaimed exasperatedly. "You expect me to run to Stark-bucks everyday. They serve perfectly good coffee, here."

"Well, here's the thing, I like their coffee not this coffee," he responded nicely but he couldn't hide the bitterness in his tone. "And you're my assistant. Now, go get it!"

"That's so far away!" she yammered as she scratched her head.

Jacob took a glimpse of her shoes. She looked like a farmer's daughter with her overall, braid and shoes. "I'm sure, you'll be just fine with your shoes."

"What?"

"Go get my coffee!"

Audrey arrived at the wrong time. A long line of angry New Yorkers was already established since early this morning. Audrey just had to have the patience and wait like everybody else.

Standing in line which lasted forever caused the numbing of Audrey's foot. Almost an hour later, Audrey made it to the front. The whole time a bunch of thirteen year old prolonged the long line due to their admiration for the cashier guy.