Stargazing

Amber was gone, and Amita had spent the night with a few girlfriends up in Manhattan, so Samiya had called Brandon and asked him to come over. She was in luck because he had traded shifts with an older officer who'd wanted to make it to his daughter's volleyball game.

When he arrived, she eagerly greeted him at the door, thoroughly surprising him as she leaned up for a kiss.

He didn't know whether she was genuinely happy to see him or if she had only called him over because her wife was gone. Either way, he wasn't complaining.

"Hey, Sammi," he greeted before pressing his lips against hers.

"I cooked."

"You're always cooking," he told her, kissing her again.

She smiled, taking his hand and pulling him into the house. He smelled the food and wondered what she was cooking. "It's called Korma. I'm sure you'll like it."

"I'm sure I will as well. It smells good."

"Go wash your hands. Sit down."

Brandon did as he was told, and by the time he came back, Sammi had a bowl on the table for him. When he tried the dish, he looked over at Sammi, and she smiled. "Good?"

"I'm stealing you from your wife and taking you home with me."

She giggled. "Or you can just share like the big kids," she suggested.

"Oh, yeah. Sharing."

"Yes, sharing. Are you familiar?"

"I don't have to share tonight," he told her with a bright smile.

"This is very true."

The two finished dinner, and Sammi took the dishes to the sink before coming back and extending her hand to Brandon. "Where are we going?" he wondered as she walked past the bedroom towards the back of the house.

"You didn't get the tour, did you?"

"No."

"We have a rooftop pool and a Jacuzzi. And tonight, dear Brandon, the two of us are going to make use of this beautiful rooftop."

"Sounds like a plan," he agreed, watching her hips sway as she led him out.

When they got outside, Brandon was almost awed to see that Samiya had set things up. He was sure now that boredom and loneliness were not the reason for her call but a genuine desire to spend some one-on-one time together.

There was a thick duvet set out with a bottle of wine and two glasses resting on it as well as a basket with what Brandon assumed was dessert.

"You're not allergic to strawberries?" she checked.

"No food allergies that I'm aware of," he told her.

"Okay."

Brandon helped Samiya down before he sat with her and she sat almost awkwardly. It was as if she was just now feeling the weight of the realization that they were really and truly alone. There was no Amber with them.

"Are you alright, Sammi?"

"Oh, no, I'm fine." She smiled.

"Do you want me to go?"

"No!" she said anxiously, almost alarming Brandon. She calmed down. "No, no. Stay. I invited you over so that we could spend time together. Please, stay."

She took his hand in her smaller one, and he moved their hands, holding her hand in his. She smiled, more relaxed as he pulled her into his arms, resting her head against his chest.