Three's Company

Samiya pushed Amber down in the chair in front of their vanity so that she could start doing her hair, plugging the curlers up. She was almost as excited about the date as her wife. And the butterflies she was getting was almost as if she was eighteen again, going on her very first date.

Samiya massaged Amber's scalp, oiling it up for her as she went. Amber relaxed into her wife's soothing fingers in her head. She loved when Samiya did her hair because unlike her stylist, she had a very soothing and gentle touch.

"How do you want your hair curled? In ringlets?" Samiya asked, taking the comb to part Amber's hair.

"Ringlets works," Amber said, taking her wife's hand briefly, smiling at her through the mirror.

Samiya used clips to hold the rest of her wife's hair while she curled it in sections, enjoying the soft and silky feel of her texture.

She was halfway through her head when the house phone started ringing. Amber frowned. There were very few times that thing actually rang. "Answer it, it might be important," she told Samiya, seeing the frown on her wife's face as she finished the ringlet she was doing.

Samiya went to the front and answered the phone. Amber couldn't hear much, but from the sounds of things, it was one of her siblings. And it sounded like she was becoming frustrated before Amber went into the front and heard Samiya speaking Hindi, sounding very flustered. And if her body language and facial expression were any indicator, she was not appreciating what was being said on the other line of the phone.

Her arms were very close to her body, one foot crossed over the other while she stood stiffly against the wall, her brows furrowed in, her lips pursed.

Amber took the receiver from her wife's hand, ignoring her protests. "Who is this?" she asked.

"Pakhi."

"Pakhi. Why are you calling my house on a Friday night? What do you want?"

Samiya's older brother sighed heavily and Amber watched her wife leaning on the side table. "You have made my sister put shame on our family name, cavorting with her in the public eye and keeping her away from her career and a husband and children."

Amber laughed then. "Pakhi. Are you aware which country you live in?" she asked. "And are you familiar with our customs and culture here in the United States? Here in the great state of Connecticut, I am legally allowed to marry your beautiful sister. And I've enjoyed every single day of it. And in case no one else noticed how miserable Sammi was in her job, she was."

"Your job is meant to make your life comfortable, not you happy."

"Oh, here in the United States, we don't believe that. Samiya likes photography, that's why she's now a photographer. Unlike you, I want to see my wife happy."

"There is no way two women can be married," he growled. "It is an abomination."

"Yeah, whatever. I have a certificate hanging on my wall that says that we're officially married. We go half on everything, you know. Samiya Darling is my wife, and whatever problem you have with that, you can keep it to yourself. Over here, we mind our business. And your opinion, Pakhi, is not our business. My wife and I have a date to get ready for. Please keep your bullshit on your side of town, sir. Gracias y buenos noches."

Amber hung the phone up and took Samiya's hand, pulling her back into the closet in front of the vanity. "Stop letting them get you worked up. It's been damn near eleven years. Either they're going to accept us being in love, or you're going to start hanging up the phone. Because if you won't hang it up, I will. They will not bring any type of stress into this house."