Ambushed

Epona and I were exhausted. It was late afternoon, and we had been riding hard all day. We were very close to the Sheikah Lands, thanks to the direction of the Great Fairy, but we both needed a break.

I got off and stretched my weary limbs. I rifled through my bag and picked out some apples for Epona. She deserved them. She munched on her treat while I got something for myself to eat.

I sat down on the ground until I was finished and then laid down, staring into the sky. I thought about the dream. Who was this Aby? And why had she just made contact with me? Why now?

Link? Are you there?

Hello? Who's there? Is it you, Aby?

No, Aby was reassigned due to certain circumstances. I am Saedi, your new Guard. Where are you? I can come escort you to our lands.

I'm good for now. I'm only an hour or so away, and I got direction from the Great Fairy of Courage.

Alright. I'm right here if you need any assistance.

Thank you. See you soon. By the way, is Zelda okay? I've been really worried about her.

She's doing alright, but I know she will feel better knowing you are safe.

Thank you again, Saedi.

No problem.

I sat up and looked at Epona. She shuffled from side to side. She was nervous, but why? I drew my sword and walked around her. I noticed that there was a scouting party of monsters trailing me. I panicked for a moment, but stood tall and let them approach.

It was a group of Stalfos, and for some reason they weren't burning up in the sun. It must've been Ganondorf's doing.

They charged, and I ran to meet them, slashing them in half. All were dead now except one, who was armored. His eye sockets were filled with a fiery glow.

He hefted his sword and swung at me. I parried easily and swung back. We exchanged blows for a few minutes before I lost my footing. His blow caught me in the chest, ripping through the chainmail and gashing my skin.

I cried out in pain and swung back, catching the Stalfos in a position to make him collapse and die. I held onto my chest, which was now bleeding. It was beginning to soak into my tunic. I quickly packed my belongings and mounted Epona. She quickly took off and we arrived in the Sheikah lands about an hour later.

I tied Epona up in the stables just outside the lands and took a few steps in before passing out again because of the pain and fatigue.

_-_-

I woke up in the morning, my whole body throbbing. I looked at myself, noticing that my chest was now wrapped in white gauze. My shorts had been replaced with tan pants.

I noticed Zelda sleeping lightly at the foot of my bed. I smiled. She was okay. Just then a girl walked in.

"Ah, Link. You're up."

"Who are you?" I asked hesitantly.

She bowed. "I am Saedi. I helped to get you here and to get your wounds dressed."

"Thank you, Saedi."

She looked a little concerned. "Link, how did you get the gash in your chest? It was really new when we treated it."

"Well, I ran into a little bit of trouble. A Stalfos scouting group had found me and attacked while I was distracted. I dispatched them all, but not before their leader cut through my chainmail."

Saedi looked frightened. "Oh, Link. I should have come immediately."

"Oh, I'll be fine. I'm finally here."

Zelda stirred slightly. "You know, she hadn't been able to sleep until you had arrived safely. She was making herself sick worrying about you."

I nodded. "Same here. When she just disappeared from the fortress, I was frantic with worry." I reached over and gave her hand a light squeeze.

She woke with a start, looking at me. Her face lit up. "Link! You're okay!"

She looked like she wanted to hug me, but then she noticed the bandage and held off.

"Sorry, Zel. I'm not in the greatest shape right now."

She smiled. "That's okay. You were always the one who got bruised and took the most damage from our adventures as kids. Maybe it was a way of toughening you up."

I chuckled, then grabbed my chest as it sent a wave of pain through my body. "Maybe. But for now, I'm just glad that you're safe. I was worried sick about you."

"Me too, Link. I hope you get better quickly. Because when you do, Saedi and I have a lot that we need to tell you."