Truth About the Past

I nodded to Zelda, telling her that first I needed to say goodbye to my family. I headed out, finding my dad first.

"Zelda and I need to leave. I love you, Dad."

He looked toward me, holding a pack up to me. "As soon as I found out you would need to save Hyrule, I set to work making you a chainmail tunic. It'll provide some protection without decreasing your flexibility."

"Is this why you made me practice with weights tied to me? So I'd be used to the weight?"

"Precisely."

He paused, and I took the time to ask a question. "Dad? If Zelda already has a magical protector, why does she need me? I'd probably just get in the way."

He looked me directly in the eyes. "Do you care for her?"

I blushed, and he continued. "It is quite obvious that you love her, Link. That is why you need to go. One who protects for any other reason rarely fulfils their purpose. One usually won't give their life for strangers."

He paused and continued. "I'm sorry I couldn't tell you earlier, but you're mother's death was tragic. She was like Zelda, she had magic. She was also granted a Sheikah Magic Guard, who happened to be the same guard that Zelda was granted. Sheik."

I interrupted, "Sheik? But how is that possible? Zelda said Sheik was in his twenties."

"When they become guards, they are granted a sort of immortality. They can still be killed, but not by disease or by old age. In fact, they barely age at all. That is why Sheik is so young still.

"Just after your sister Aryll was born, she was needed to go on a dangerous quest. Sheik went with her, and I wanted to go, but I needed to stay home with you kids. Before they left, I challenged Sheik to a duel to test his competency with the sword.

"He bragged about how long he had practiced and that he would beat me soundly. I was by no means an expert, but I was quite competent myself. We sparred for a few minutes before I had my sword at his throat. He looked at me in surprise.

"I told him that he needed to work on his skills so that he could protect my wife. He nodded and I pulled the sword away from him. He was inexperienced and a braggart. I knew trouble would come from him, but I pushed the thought aside and hoped for the best.

"They left, and it wasn't until a few weeks later that I learned that my beloved Jamie was dead. She had fought valiantly, but was bested because her guard fled for his life. If Sheik is ever in a tight spot, I fear that he will abandon Zelda just as he did your mother. This is why you must go."

He paused and I soaked in all his words. That's how my mother died? Because Sheik was a coward? I felt the rage building, and my father must have sensed it too because he continued.

"It is possible that he has improved and changed. But be on your guard. Be slow to trust others, because many will wait until you trust them to stab you in the back. I'm counting on you to keep Zelda safe, as I believe that Sheik will not be able to."

I nodded, sensing the wisdom in his words. I took the chainmail tunic and slipped into it. It had a layer of green fabric overtop of it with a belt at the waist. It fit well and must have taken a long time to make.

I stepped forward and hugged him. "Thank you, Dad. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you, too."

I looked him in the eyes and noticed there were a few tears there. I turned to go find Aryll and Ryan. I gave them hugs and left. Aryll was still young, so she was really sad to see me go.

I found Zelda and strapped on my sword. "We should probably get the horses ready if we're going to leave."

"Horses?" Zelda asked nervously.

"Yeah, no one owns cars out here, they either walk or ride horses. If we're going to go save Hyrule, we better start getting ready. You can have Epona and I'll take Strider."

She nodded. "Let's go."