Chapter Iota *New*

Enjoy

Chapter Iota

Gamma quickly followed her team through Shadow's makeshift door. The second she ran through, she was enveloped in thick darkness. It only took her a few milliseconds for her eyes to adjust to the light. Her eyes were able to adjust enough to see very clearly in pitch darkness even with the lack of light. She didn't know why, she just knew she could see and wasn't complaining.

She had no idea where she was going but she was confident that Beta would lead her and she just needed to stick close behind. So she just followed, hanging back, behind Alpha and Shadow. Truth be told, she didn't want to be at the front or even close to the front. She was never a good fighter and her ability was limited to fighting. She was mainly the person who got people or herself out of danger quickly, not one running headlong into it.

Even since an early age she knew she wasn't a good fighter. She could use her portals to her advantage but that was about it. She never got good at hand-to-hand combat. During matches, it would always take her twice as long to battle an opponent. By the time she had finished with one, the rest of the team had eliminated the a dozen threats.

Some days she felt like she was slowing down the team. Some days she felt that it would be better if she just opened a random wormhole and left. She reasoned the team would be better off with out her.

One day, she actually got to the point where she was about to abandon the team and disappear. Seconds before opening a portal, however, Beta figured it out. Beta had talked Gamma out of leaving and convinced her they needed her. It took some time, but eventually Gamma realized that she was helping. She also knew that she would need them more than they needed her.

Suddenly, the lights in the hallway flickered to life and Gamma quickly shut her eyes to ward off the blinding light. Her eyes grew accustomed to the light shift again and she could see clearly where she was. Bright white walls on every side. They were made even a brighter shade of white by the horizontal strip of light in the middle of the wall, illuminating the hallway. There were small black letters on the walls that stuck out in contract, but Gamma was moving so fast she couldn't read what they were saying.

Gamma peered out past the group to see if she could contribute by portaling her team closer. She was quickly disappointed when she realized there were so many turns and stairs in the hallway. To be able to open a portal, she would have to be able to see where the destination was and unfortunately for her, she couldn't see more than a few meters ahead of her at any time.

They turned a corner and had a small straight away before the stairs at the end of the hall. Gamma was about to open a portal when Shadow jumped out from the back and ran to the front. He crossed his arms in front of his face and brought them down in an X motion while snapping. A split second later, the stair that the man just vacated and all the stairs under it, shattered into tiny splinters of metal. The man staggered but continued running.

Beta and Epsilon didn't skip a beat. Beta jumped in the air and sort of floated up to the top of the stairs. Epsilon ran up the side of the wall and kicked of after several steps, landing on the top intact step and following after Beta. Gamma quickly opened a portal in front of the rest of the group and the opposite one on top floor. They continued running, not missing a pace.

Gamma ran behind the group once again. Gamma had to admit; she was quite taken with Shadow. He had one of those, dark and mysterious personalities that she really liked. He rarely seemed to make conversation and when he did speak it was in few words. Not much is known about him and he seems to have a complicated past that I'm sure they'll learn just by asking. He kept his past buried for a reason and Gamma wasn't going to make him unearth it unless he wanted to. She wondered if Shadow felt the same way about her. She'd have to ask Beta to check when they weren't running for their lives, which, Gamma realized, is fairly often.