Chapter Theta *New*

Authors Note: Wow...long time no post. Sorry guys. My writers block is gone so i hope i'll be back for a while.

I just want to say, i love my family. This chapter in no way reflects them.

Chapter Theta

Victor Still's breathing became labored and short as he ran. His legs were getting increasingly tired and he knew he couldn't run any longer. Regardless, he heard footsteps behind him and doubled his speed, his legs protesting fiercely.

The halls were pitch dark, electrical error, it happens when you are stealing electricity from neighboring cities. But Victor knew exactly where he was going. He'd been down that hall many times before. He didn't need the light to see and it wasn't going to slow him down. Unfortunately for him, he didn't think it was slowing down his pursuers.

He rounded a corner right as the lights flickered on. He swaggered, almost losing balance for a moment but quickly regaining his composure. He cursed loudly, a decision he instantly regretted after realizing it gave his position away. His eye patch threw off his orientation. He had just recently lost the eye and hadn't had enough time to get use to the lack of vision on one side.

He quickly recovered his balance and continued running, slower than before. He felt himself slowing down. He regretted his lack of hours at a gym. He knew it was going to come back to haunt him but now that it's a life or death situation, the realization hit him all to sudden.

He ran up a set of stairs and saw several black large letters on a bright white wall. He ran past the letters so fast it was just a blur but he had passed them so often that he knew exactly what they said.

"If you're standing Still, you're not advancing. Trinity Science. Advance."

Those were the words his father told him endless times. They were etched in his brain. Victor Still heard his father repeat that phrase over and over again. It was the Still family motto. His father reminding him to keep on working. His father thought he was lazy and good for nothing. He heard that phrase more than his brother and felt it was repeated to him more than anyone else in the Still family.

His father, Marco Still, runs the lab. He built entirely out of money he saved since he was in his late teens. He had enough money to hire several scientists on staff but none were as good as his father and brothers. That's why he named it Trinity Science. His father and bother own the lab with him.

It was basically said 'Still and sons' but his father never considered him anything close to his son. The greatest thing his father did to show him he loved him was that sign, it showed that he even knew he existed and considered him at least a coworker if not his child.

His mother was out of the picture entirely. He hardly knew her to begin with and the years took a toll on his memory thus erasing her from his memory forever. She had left after he and his twin brother, Miles, had been born. She grew increasingly tired of her husband's constant work. She could count the hours he spent with her in a month on one hand, and then it got to the point where only one finger was needed. Eventually it dwindled down to nothing and she left. Worst part was that Marco didn't even realize she had left.

She stayed long enough to raise Miles and Victor but even though she was there she didn't seem to be all there. They had both learned to fend for themselves very quickly. They learned to get money, get food, stay safe, and almost everything else they needed to learn to stay alive.

By the time they were both six, their mother had left. Fortunately they had mastered the art of acquiring food, water, and shelter to stay alive. The saddest part was that their father didn't even realize they were born. He didn't even know his wife was expecting children. The one time he visited her when she was pregnant, all he said was "Boy, you've really let yourself go."

The first time Marco saw his sons was a year after his wife left him. (He didn't know that either, his sons had to explain why their mother wasn't there) He walked into his house to pick something up and as he was leaving, Miles and Victor both walked up to the porch to enter the house at the same time. Marco opened the door to two small children on his front steps. He just stood there for a second, waiting for them to say something. Victor knew it was his father, he had seen pictures of him. His father however, tired of waiting, just said.

"You going to sell me something or what, cause your wasting my time?"

From that point on, he and his father had a love hate relationship, minus the love. He thought Victor was good for nothing and would never amount to anything.

Fortunately, he had his brother. Someone he could depend on and rely on. They both kept each other sane. They both grew stronger and smarter. They started inventing just like their father. He wanted to say that he felt his father was proud of him after knowing they were taking in his footsteps. But he knew otherwise.

From that day on he vowed to be a better father than his father was. He heard a loud snap from behind him and saw the stairs he just climbed shatter in to several small metal pieces, jolting him back from his memories. Admittedly, looking back now, he felt he could have been a better father.

Victor heard another snap and a computer monitor reading 'Still Science. Advance.' split into several small pieces. He cursed again, not caring if he was heard or not, and doubled his speed. He twisted the dial on his wristwatch and a large keyboard illuminated on his forearm. He rapidly pressed several of them and rotated the dial counter clockwise.

An alarm blared to his most advanced guard team. They've never let him down. They were always needed with test subjects who try and escape. This group is the best. They would stop his persuaders. No sooner had he thought that than he heard several small screams and an explosion.

He typed more commands in his keyboard and saw a camera screen on his watch dial. It showed his team lying face down and the Titans, Omega, and his son running fast after him.

He cursed a third time and typed faster. It was his last move but he had no choice. They had built a fail safe into the system. Just in case things got too out of hand. It was something to make sure no test subject revolted and escaped. Code named, Tartarus.

He pressed the final button and heard several gears spinning and metal scraping. He didn't have to turn around to know what was happening. Four thick steal walls would spring up around the group. Then they would drop several miles into the earths crust until it eventually reached the core and melted on impact. It was a sad fate for anyone, including his son, but he knew it had to be done.

The lights flickered and went out, something Victor expected from so much power being drained, but it was worth it. The Titans were defeated.