Chapter Kappa

Chapter Kappa

The wind whipped in the tall tree branches was the only sound to be heard on the isolated mountain. A squirrel ran under yellow tape labeled 'No Trespassing!" and across a small plain before running through what looked like a junkyard. Large chunks of broken and warped metal littered the side of the mountain.

The squirrel ran up a large support beam, which was bent in several places, and jumped across the shattered frayed end and landed on what was a sidewall, lying horizontal, several meters away. It scratched behind its ear before looking around the vast landscape around it.

Suddenly something appeared that it had never seen before. It quickly looked up to see a large green mist floated above the ground it was standing on. It quickly ran back into the safety of the trees as four figured jumped out of the mist and landed on the ground in a crouch.

"Home sweet home," Alpha said, looking around. Epsilon shuttered a bit at the thought of their experiences at their previous residence. Gamma spit on the ground.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I really enjoy our renovations," Gamma said sweeping her hand around the broken structure. Beta nodded.

"Well lets get down to business, I don't want to be here any longer than we have to be," Epsilon stated suddenly. The rest of the group nodded. Beta walked up to the center of the rubble and placed her hand on the ground. She closed her eyes and her breathing slowly became shallow and irregular.

Everyone stood their ground, giving her plenty of space and careful not to shift their weight or make any noise that would disrupt her. They knew what that look meant. Beta's ability allowed her a 'sixth sense' of sorts, which allowed her to see beyond what the human eye was capable of. She could see though walls and other objects clearly as if they weren't even there.

They had always used that advantage before any scrimmage to scout out the opponents. They were able to figure out their competition's weaknesses and strategies before the battle. That's how they always win. That way they are never caught off guard.

Beta opened her eyes and slowly raised her head, suddenly becoming aware of the rest of the group as if she had forgotten about them. Epsilon slowly helped her to her feet. She looked over at Gamma and she nodded. They both closed their eyes to focus and Beta projected her thoughts of what she discovered. She had found a place where the destruction was less severe. Gamma got a mental image of the location and a green portal quickly opened up on the ground.

They all jumped in it, landing in a very dark room, illuminated briefly only by a flickering light on the ceiling that had broken off and was now swinging back and forth. They all and very good night vision so they had no need for the light.

They all looked around and Beta pointed at a row of computers that looked fairly intact. They approached them cautiously and sat down, each at their own computer. Surprisingly they all booted up and ran. Everything was working so well for them, until the screen flashed once and text appeared, prompting for a password.

"The password is Sigma-Omicron-17829," Epsilon said typing rapidly on the keyboard.

"How on earth did you know that?" Alpha asked stunned as he typed the characters and he realized the password was accepted.

"Its written on a post-it note under this desk," Epsilon said causally, focused on his screen. He clicked on a file called 'Human Weapons.' It opened up with a list of character traits. Epsilon scrolled down and begun reading.

'Codename: Clockwork. TERMINATED

Sex: Female

Height: 5' 9"