Chapter 26 - Cliché

"Hello?" an average mother tone spoke.

"Oh, hi Mrs. Summers, um, is Ryan available?" I really didn't know why I had to ask that question since I was calling his cell. 

"Is this Abby?" There's caller ID, Mrs. Summers.

"Yes," I replied sweetly. 

"Hello, Abby!" she said in her kind voice. "How are you?"

"I'm-"

"Sorry! You were asking for Ryan. I don't know why I talk so much, ahah. But if you want to finish your sentence you can..." she trailed.

I closed my eyes and chuckled, "I'm fine, Mrs. Summers. Thank you for asking and what about you?" 

"Oh dear, I'm great! I will get Ryan now." I heard her shout his name in the background. His reply was distance and grouchy. 

"Hey."

"Good morning sunshine," I teased. 

"Why are you calling?" he retorted. I paused for a second, unsure of what I could say. 

"I'm sorry-"

"For what?" he cut me off.

"I was getting to it. Look, if you took it personal when I said it didn't mean anything, I'm really sorry."

"I honestly don't care anymore, Abby. I mean, it takes you two weeks to respond to something that was kind of big. Well, I guess it wasn't big enough for us to work through, so why bother now? And I may be ranting about something that I don't care about, but at least I had the decency to not say something rude-"

"I get it, Ryan. You act like I don't give a shit about you or about what happened, but I-"

"You don't, Abby. You don't, that's really the only reason why you said it." 

"Can you please let me finish?!" I yelled. My body began shaking, because this was the first real argument we had that we might not work out. "Can you please open your door? I'm outside and I don't think I can hold the phone any longer if we keep screaming at each other."

**

He opened the door two minutes after we hung up. We faked smiles for his parents, assuring them that everything was normal. Once we got to his room, the yelling began. 

"Keep it down, your mom might come running in here," I glared. 

"I can't help it, Abby. You're driving me insane and I hate it. I hate it so much that I'm obsessed with hating you and then I think about you and then I start getting more obsessive," he ranted.

"Why? Why do you care so much now? It wasn't like I was the girl you wanted back in freshman year," I sat on his soft white bed.

"That's true. I didn't want you in freshman year, or maybe you just thought I didn't. Maybe you were too busy falling for Radley that you didn't even realize who was trying so hard to be apart of your life."

"I wasn't falling for Radley! Where the hell did that idea come into this conversation?" I lied. "You know what, just stop, Ryan. I'm not sure where we are right now and I'm not sure where we're headed, but I hate it."

He didn't reply to me, instead he just walked over to his bottom drawer and pulled out a bunch of colored envelopes. "Do you know how hard it is to find out your favorite color? It was even harder than actually writing the notes."

I snatched a yellow card from him, 'Coffee? - Ryan'. "Wait, so on Christmas, I got an anonymous note. I guess I just found out who wrote them." I had no idea why I was telling him that since it was beyond obvious. 

"Abigal Coles, I loved you for 1,212 days or 3 years, 3 months, and 27 days." Hearing him say that out loud was indescribable. 

"So it's confession time, huh?" I chuckled. 

"Not the response I was looking for, but I can never predict you, so yeah, confess," he smiled.

"Alright, well let's start with the very first day we talked. I got into detention and I talked to Radley. He seemed pretty fun and I guess, I sort of maybe, kinda, a little bit, in a way-"

"Abby."

"Like him," I finished the sentence. "And fast foward a couple of years, you became one of my closest friends. Now, I have never really thought about us being us, but these past few weeks have been really fun for me. I began to develop a different view of you. And suddenly, I find myself connecting everything I see or do to you. You know, I get those 'Ryan would like this' or 'I remember when Ryan did this' thoughts. And I liked sleeping next to you on the couch." 

His grin grew wider. I stared at him. "Sorry, I just can't help it." He tried to frown, but that only made his smile grow wider. 

"It's okay, you have nice teeth," I dragged him down next to me. 

We sat there for an hour or so talking about our past and our feelings. It was pretty cliché, but I didn't give a damn.

Author's Notes:

I forgot about this story for a while and I guess I got off my lazy ass (actually, I'm sitting on my lazy ass writing this right now) to update. I apologize. No proofreading was done, because I'm lazy. Yeahh.