A better way....

Sitting in the class was almost impossible. There was something to do period. People were throwing cupcakes, flipping desks, and fighting for the end of the year celebration. Christian was sitting at his desk really wishing that the bell would ring sooner. He wanted to shed the model student act as bad as a butterfly its cocoon. All of a sudden, the announcement speaker turned on and said “Christian Michael, report to the main office, Christian Michael, to the main office please.” Christian got up quickly and happily packed his bag. He never got into any trouble, so he must be leaving early. “Perfect” he said with a slight grin. He left the chaotic classroom and ran down the stairs. When he reached the main office he saw his grandparents.

They were the worst people to live with if you had anything to add or personal opinion. The Grandfather’s name was Herman, and the Grandmother’s name was Mazelle. The Pressley’s were mean old people who didn’t care for kids much. Christian, turning 17 that year was getting tired of the controlled environment. He reluctantly said “Hey, Mommy?” The old woman spat hi back and walked toward the library, where Christian went go see his psychiatrist every day. Even though he was smart he really didn’t have good communication skills. He lashed out at people a lot because of what was going on at home. His grandfather was a little sympathetic, and would help him, but Mazelle stamped it out, and he couldn’t do it anymore afterward.

Herman said in a whisper “Ms. Sanchez wants to see all three of us today because of your behavior, just act normal and we’ll be okay.” Ms. Sanchez was his physiatrist’s name. She was a second mother to him. They grew attached to one another over the course of the years. They entered the tiny office she worked out of, and they all sat in the three chairs placed at the front of her desk. She looked down, but in front of his grandparents, Christian couldn’t ask what was wrong.

She looked at Christian’s grandparents with a smile and said “Hello loves. I want to make a final recommendation, something has to be done to fix Christian’s anger, and it’s not in my power to do so. I suggest that Christian goes to the hospital. Afterward he’ll go to an outpatient program called Horsham. The people there are very nice and respectful, and if things don’t get better we’ll try to look at something else, but this is really the last resort. She looked at Christian with that familiar “You need out of that house” look, and asked “How do you feel about that Chris?” Christian thought for a second, and said” Maybe doing this is the best shot we have.” in his authentic sad but resolved tone. If it was one thing Christian was good at, it was faking emotions through his voice. The grandparents got up and they both shook Ms. Sanchez’s hand.

Before they left Ms. Sanchez gave Christian a hug and whispered “You have my number. Promise me you’ll call every day.” She thought of Christian as something more than a client, and he appreciated it, and said “I promise I’ll call twice at least each day. I love you.” Christian then went outside to the car. The grandparents drove to the children’s hospital, where Christian was first told that he wouldn’t be there for a couple minutes. Instead a couple of days of running tests. His grandmother left saying she was too down to take it all, but his grandfather stayed. He looked at him and said “You knew all along.”

It wasn’t a question. Just as Christian could change his outer appearance he can sense other people’s true emotions even if they faked them as good as he did. His grand pop shifted in his chair uneasily. ”Chris, maybe this is for the best. I don’t know what they are going to find, but I do know they won’t find the problem, or the answer to it. Christian you are damn near grown. One day you’ll be a father, a husband. It takes leadership, and a lot of strength. You haven’t learned any of that. You are very talented, give your parents a run for their money, but you don’t use it. What good is it if it’s just sitting there?”

That also, wasn’t a question. The old man got up from out his seat, and just before he left the room he said “You have a good soul. I see it in your eyes. I’m not sure why I’m saying this, but it’s been a pleasure to have met you.” He left. Christian lay on his bed and let out a giant sigh. He was feeling so many emotions at once. He felt Sad, mad, frustrated, shocked, and happy all rolled up into a nuclear bomb inside his brain. Then the nurse came in with his dinner. Hospital food was nasty, so Christian threw it away. The nurse turned around from washing her hands, and said” that was the fastest I’ve ever seen food eaten.” She said in mock surprise. This made Christian laugh, easing the tension. ”What’s your name?” she asked. “Christian and yours?” replied. “Mindy. Nice to meet you.”

“Likewise”

“So, you will have a 2 day stay here. To be honest the place is pretty boring for a guy your age, so sleeping and playing video games would be the best thing right now.” Said the nurse. She was very pretty. She was olive skinned, with long blonde hair and blue eyes. Christian so no way to get her because of the patient was being taken care of by the nurse. That night was horrible, he had nothing to do but look at television, and that got boring after several hours. He turned it off and put his covers over his head. Before he drifted he thought “One day, I’m going to show that I’m not to be overlooked.”

That night something that happens once every 200 billion years. When the stars of Life and the star of Destiny were in perfect alignment. Christian opened his eyes to see that he was no longer on the darkened hospital room, but upright in a grassy plane. The meadow was beautiful with crystal clear blue skies with no clouds tarnishing its beauty. Christian started to walk over a hill to find a man and a woman sitting in the middle of the valley. They looked up at Christian as if they could see him, but he knew that was impossible because he was 100 feet up. The two people got up from their seats and did something that was beyond extraordinary.

The two people rose in the air as if they were weightless. They started to move toward him. As they moved closer, Christian noticed that these were not regular people. They wore robes of black and royal blue. They landed in front of Christian who felt as though couldn’t move the bottom half of his body. He could not talk either. The man spoke with a voice that was as loud as a megaphone. “Do not be afraid of us. We bring you here to congratulate you” Christian was very surprised by this statement because not a lot of people knew him, or talked to him on a day to day basis, and he never met these two people before.

“I am the God of Life, and this is the Goddess of Destiny. Today was the day we meet to discuss the current state of the world. Since we rarely see each other we make the best of the time we have.” Christian started to laugh at them. He thought they were joking. What did Christian ever do to deserved something like that? And what kind of story is that? This time the Goddess spoke, saying “We would never play about such a thing, not in these times. Christian you are the only person on the planet Earth to have a pure heart. It has been untarnished and clean. Usually people don’t make it until 7, but you are 17 years of human age with a pure soul. Therefore, by our authority we bestow you with what you wished for, and promise me for as long as you live you will never tell anyone about this encounter or that we even exist, got it?”

Christian nodded slowly, awed at the statement he just heard that they are giving him a gift, but he did not remember what it was he wished for. The man and the woman made ceptres materialize from nowhere and a beam of light issued from both of them, one through Christian’s heart, and the other through his forehead. He suddenly felt very light and dreamy. He closed his eyes and thought no more.

He woke up back in the same hospital bed where the nurse was looking at the TV in his room. They had to stay with him because of the reason they had him there in the first place. He sat up and the nursed said “Good morning, Christian. How are you?” with a smile. Christian just looked at her because he had almost forgot about what happened the night before. The nurse turned around and walked away as if he replied, and said “You know last night was the night that the stars of Life and Destiny lined up right?” Christian said, although not truthful “Yes, actually.” The nurse smiled and said “You know that they say they are gods that try to fix the world or something like that, right?” Christian, wanting to keep his promise, said “No. I never heard of a story.” The nurse laughed.” There isn’t one, actually. That’s what everyone says about them.” Christian looked down because it’s hard to keep things in that happened to him that wasn’t ordinary. He asked “When do I leave?” She looked up and said “The end of today. About 6 o’clock. We still need to run more tests. I’m not supposed to tell you this, but all of your tests have been negative for anything out of the ordinary.” She smiled hopefully at him, and he smiled back. It wasn’t genuine, but he didn’t want to seem down because he was leaving. His grandparents (or his grandmother, more accurately) were the worst people to live with. He got up, brushed his teeth, showered, and put his clothes on to leave in.