Put That On My Heartbeat: Part T w o

Jacob

I rushed through the hospital doors with Mekai in my arms. Tears running down my own face as I looked down to see Kaleb wiping his flowing tears. The emergency room was really packed tonight. I finally made it to the reception desk and the woman behind the desk eye's bulged.

"My s-son he needs to be seen. He was unresponsive. Help me please." I felt so much sadness wipe over me just like that. My seed was hurt.

"Lets get this child seen! Now! Sir, we're gonna have your information taken in this room over here." the receptionist directed Kaleb & I over and we walked to the side room.

"Did your grandma ever pick up Kaleb?" he nodded and I did the same before covering my face with my hands. How was this even happening? I swear, when things start to go good they always turn bad.

A woman took our insurance information and then we were sent to a private room. I was still a celebrity regardless of the situation so I didn't want to cause a stir at the hospital. We sat in the room, waiting for any possible answers as to what happened to Mekai. I was worried sick about him, and his brother seemed a little shaken by it.

"Hey Kaleb, its gonna be okay. I promise." he shook his head and looked down.

"Daddy why is all this bad stuff happening? Is Morgan still your wife? You guys don't live together-"

"Mr.Latimore I believe your mother is here. Is this her?" the woman asked, I saw my mom peering around the corner before I nodded.

"They act like they don't believe me or something. But Jacob what happened?" she asked as I stood to hug her. Kaleb looked down, playing with his fingers.

"We don't know, he passed out and I couldn't get him to wake up for me." I knew Ma could hear it in my voice that I was scared. I didn't notify Morgan, and made the decision not to until we found out the root of the problem. She didn't need anymore stress than she could handle.

"Okay, well I'll be here with you guys. Kaleb you alright baby?" she nudged at him as he simply nodded his head. I sort of ignored his question earlier for the simple fact that I didn't know how to respond to him. He was my child and deserved to know about what his dad was dealing with, but at this age I didn't exactly know how to approach him.

"Mekai is gonna be okay man, alright?" I ran my hand over his hair and watched him sink back into his seat closing his eyes.

"How was Florida? How's Morgan?" mom took a seat across from me and instantly I smiled. That trip was definitely worth it.

"Florida was good, Morgan is doing great. She and I enjoyed each other." my mom smiled and rubbed my leg.

"Listen to me. I'm proud of you. Don't let anyone take your happiness away from you. You're the man that I expected you to be and more." in the middle of our moment, a nurse walked in.

"Mr.Latimore , the doctor is ready for you to come and talk with her about your son."

We all stood and gathered our things preparing for what was ahead of us. I anxiously walked along with the nurse to the room where we saw Mekai laying in the small hospital bed. We were in the pediatrics ward and it made everything feel a little better. At least for me, knowing my son would be okay.
We reached his bed and I ran my hand across his cheek.

"Hello. I'm doctor Rhodes." she smiled faintly in the corner. She was rather beautiful, and she looked really young. I walked over shaking her hand.

"Jacob Latimore...hows he looking?" I asked bringing my hand to my chin.

"Well, he was rather dehydrated. We did a few tests, but discovered the root of it all.. was a heart murmur." my mom and I looked to each other shocked.