Chapter 43 | Left

I didn't hesitate to jump up from my seat, rushing to the door and pushing the entire table back

I didn't hesitate to jump up from my seat, rushing to the door and pushing the entire table back. The table screeching loudly as it slid across the floor, leaving the doors opened enough for Zayn to slip inside. He opened the door again and took one look at me, before grabbing my chin and glancing at me. I didn't back away from his touch as his fingers slid down my neck, my breath hitching as he looked in my eyes.

"You're safe." He said it in a way like he was almost relieved. My heart felt light at his soft tone, as if he was making it a thing to try for the sake of our unsettled friendship. But nonetheless I appreciated it so much, way too much than I should've. And that was going to cause a major problem in the future.

My vulnerability was at an all-time high, the need to be close to him being way stronger than I wanted, my fingers gripping his arms. We both know this wasn't exactly appropriate and I knew I should've backed away, I should've been mad that I was in this place. I should've been mad that my best friend was completely upset and I couldn't tell her anything, but all I felt was sadness. The light reflecting on my ring almost made me choke on a sob until I forced myself to push it back. That can wait. This moment was ours and we needed it.

I let one hand travel down while grabbing his wrist and holding onto it as I leaned my head into his large hand. "I'm safe." I said before my eyes caught onto the spec of red paint on the cuff of his sleeves. I looked at the stain, pulling his arm closer to me and watching it. The edges of it almost appearing brown. My jaw tightened before instantly pulling his arm a tad closer than before and taking a closer look at it. "But are you?" I felt myself whisper as I looked up at him, nervous to even know.

He didn't bother answering, just looking down at me before placing a kiss on my forehead. This was something that he always did, never spoke about what he does but had enough pride to let me know that he wasn't going to sugarcoat it. We didn't share any words, the moment between us being enough to say what both of us wouldn't dare mumble out loud. After a few seconds, his eyes traveled past me as he glanced at Erica, he offered a hand down to her. She didn't hesitate to grab it, standing up beside me as he greeted her.

"Are you alright?" His deep voice rasped to her, looking her over once to make sure that she wasn't harmed.

It slightly warmed my heart to see that he cared about her health, not just checking onto me and leaving her behind. Until it made me question how the hell did he even know if I was actually physically okay without checking me over. It was like he just knew that no one would harm me, like I wasnt before the last few times stuff got hectic. He never bothered to ask about it mentally, at least not intentionally. But I figured it was just because he already knew, I needed a damn therapist. That was all the answers he needed.

"I'm fine." She answered lowly, most likely embarrassed that she was in the vulnerable state right now in front of someone that she idolized. But knowing Zayn he didn't care enough to judge, he just wanted to know if she was okay.