Chapter 38 : Dun Dun Dun

I quickly slipped into the clown's costume which was a whacky, rainbow coloured outfit with frills at the end of the sleeves and pants. The makeup artist coloured my face with white paint and a bright, red ball was fixed on my nose. He pulled my hair into a right bun, setting it neatly with hairspray. My skin felt chalky, my head hurt for the tightness of the bun and the ridiculous clothes were itchy. Still, I felt like I was on top of the world.

"Georgia," I heard Clark's voice and I whirled around.

"How do I look?" I wiggled my eyebrows confidently, inwardly cringing at the feel of the crumbling paint.

Clark just nodded and said, "Ian and I'll be in the audience, you just have to appear on stage."

"What should I do? Maybe juggle with knives or play with fire---"

"That's what you're not supposed to do. You can dance around or make faces like you usually do. Just don't do anything stupid, okay? I don't want you doing anything that will hurt you," he said with a hint of sincerity in his voice and my eyebrows rose high up.

He cleared his throat and quickly added, "I meant that I don't want you to . . . Just don't do anything stupid."

"But---"

"Listen to me for God's sake, don't make me regret allowing you to do this shit. Just don't," he warned me and I scowled.

* * *

I ignored Clark's warning because it was mundane if I did not seize this golden opportunity. That was the purpose of me being a clown. Besides, it would be fun seeing Clark's reaction when I would do something extraordinary. But, I didn't know what extraordinary I had to do. So, I finally decided on doing a somersault as the entry act and cartwheel as the exit act which was lame as compared to what I earlier thought- riding on a lion.

I entered the stage while doing a failed attempt of somersault which made everyone laugh since I looked comical with funny music going on. They thought my failure was on purpose, but believe me, it was not. Still, I was happy they were laughing, so I laughed along too merrily and straightened myself while doing a thumbs up. All people applauded and my eyes landed on Clark.

Ian was cheering me by clapping in awe, but Clark glared at me when I continued grinning at him. Now, all the spectators' heads turned towards Clark, to see who was the special one I was grinning at. Clark was clearly embarrassed by all the attention. He glared, shooting daggers at me and sank lower and lower in his chair.

"So my dear ladies and gentlemen, I would need a volunteer for what I'm going to do. Who's ready to volunteer?" I asked loudly and everyone raised their hands enthusiastically. All except for Clark.
"That man in the corner seat, come down please," I deliberately pointed at Clark and he looked mortified. "Yes, you sir. Come down, will you?"

Ian gave a little, encouraging shove to Clark who was glaring at me intensely which nearly made me freeze. I cracked a huge grin as Clark sulked when all the audience cheered him to go on stage. Slowly, he got up and strode towards me.

"What is your name, sir?" I asked Clark and he scoffed when a microphone was handed to him.

"Clark," he muttered unwillingly.

"So Brownie-uh Clark, I want you to help me with a tongue twister. Isn't that fun?" I exclaimed and people whistled.

"No," he cut off the cheers due to which a very uncomfortable silence surrounded us.

"Well, you're a grumpy old cat, aren't you?" I awkwardly laughed and stomped Clark's feet to which he remained unaffected. "Now, let us start with our tongue twisters, shall we?"