Prologue

[Please read the author's note at the end]

"What does the fox say---"

"You lazy ass! Clean the damn carpet and shove it downstairs!"

I heard the faint voice of my mum coming from the kitchen. I quickly removed my headphones and threw them on the ground in a heap. That dusty, old Chinese carpet hadn't been cleaned in ages but nobody cared about it, except my dear mum. She was distracting me from my extremely vital job which needed a tremendous amount of focus and concentration.

I was trying to do acrobatics by hanging on my mother's long, red, silky scarf, which was suspended from a hook on the ceiling. I was high up from the floor and it was a risk, but it was fun. Yes, seriously I needed a mental check or whatever, but I truly wished to perform in a circus one day. Girls generally of my age had sexual fantasies, but my fantasy was merely to get into a circus which was surreal. I just wanted to make people happy.

"And who would do the laundry? Your d---"

"Ah . . . I will do it later! Stop bugging me!" I shouted back.

I tried to get higher up and freed one of my legs that had gotten entangled in the scarf, but my desperate attempts to show some acrobatic skills proved to be futile. I pulled the scarf further down and before I realized my stupidity, due to my hefty self, I went crashing down on the floor.

If only I had landed on the floor with a broken neck, that would have been a relief. But to my astonishment, along came a slab of hard ceiling cement with a loud thud. And I was in one piece, if not considering the sharp pain erupting from my butt.

My mum and dad came rushing into my room with dad nearly knocking down the door. They looked around and gasped in shock. Both of them were absolutely stunned and I smiled sheepishly.

* * *

After my little act and an hour of argument, we all gradually gathered in the dining room. I was quietly sipping tea and dad was busy reading the newspaper. I did not dare utter a word after what happened earlier this evening. Mum and dad were truly disappointed, but they still couldn't believe that I was hanging on a thin cloth. At first they thought I attempted suicide, but they shook those thoughts away when they realized a happy soul like me had no reason to end my life.

"What happened to this Georgia? Did the rats chew this off?" my mum asked and I looked up. She was holding my old, pastel blue shirt. It had a wide hole near the chest area. I couldn't tell her the truth since it was a long story. I had helped a gay couple elope a few days ago since their family didn't accept them. I was engrossed in all their activities like planning their wedding and honeymoon to make them happy.

While I was running to get the wedding attire, I tripped over the couple's nasty cat and it pounced over me. I freaked out and in my courageous battle with the cat, it scratched my shirt and that was how this wide hole was created.

"Why have you sealed your mouth shut, Georgia? Did your chest suddenly swell up and your boobs burst out?"

"What?" I choked on my tea and the liquid spilled from my mouth like a fountain. It was all over the table and water was streaming like a river down my nose. Dad peeked through the newspaper and awkwardly cleared his throat.

"Mom! Seriously? You've got no chill."

"Then what should I say when you are lying to your own parents? I know you were the one who helped Tweek and Craig to elope. See darling, your case is solved," she turned around and informed dad. I shuddered in fear. Nobody in the town knew that I was the culprit. Not that my parents or anybody were against same-sex marriages, but the family of the couple had filed a case. And my dad was a cop. It just made matters more complicated considering how mischievous I was.