Chapter 37 : A Dream Come True

We were almost finishing our lunch when I asked, "Brownie?"

"Hmm?"

"This is delicious, who taught you cooking?"

"Robert."

"Where is he? And the maids?" I asked and quirked an eyebrow in question.

"Robert's out and the maids will come later," he replied curtly and continued to text in his phone as I shoved a spoon of cheesy meat in his mouth.

I was back to being a caretaker of Clark for an hour since he was too busy to eat food, I had to feed him. I was seated on a chair right in front of him, so close that our legs were brushing each other's. I placed the plate of food on my lap gingerly and dug the spoon into the mountain of salad. I lifted the spoonful full of veggies to his mouth but he pushed it away. His nose scrunched up in disgust, clearly indicating that he did not like that, although he was the one who prepared the salad as a side dish for the rest of the meal.

"I didn't know you were a pesky, little kid," I said wryly and ate those veggies myself. The veggies were delicious too, fresh enough to make me feel like I was eating healthy and buttery enough to make them tasty. Honestly, anything cooked by Clark was magic. His food reminded me of my mum's magic.

"Peel me an orange," he ordered in an arrogant tone, not once glancing at me and I scowled.

"I'm doing this only because I'm getting paid. Besides, it's my birthday and I should be the one laying back on the chair coolly and getting fed. You have no heart to command me into working on my birthday. I should feel special this day, you're being plain mean to me by being bossy. Meanie!" I whined like a little kid and pouted.

"Aww," he cooed while pinching my cheek, taking me by surprise and abruptly stopped. "Now peel the orange."

"Fine," I grumbled under my breath and rubbed my cheek furiously.

Suddenly, Clark pushed my hand away from my reddened cheek. We both stared at each other as he stroked my that spot gently and almost lovingly. This warm, fuzzy, similar feeling arose within me which made me blush the slightest bit possible. I tried to crack a grin to hide my absurd, girly blush, but that attempt made me blush even more.

"What the hell is wrong with me? I never blush, ugh," I murmured to myself a bit too loudly and Clark heard.

I mentally smacked myself and blushed even more than before in embarrassment that my entire face turned scarlet. I shut my eyes in frustration to avoid meeting Clark's gaze who must have had the time of his life by witnessing me getting ashamed.

I was right when suddenly I heard Clark's laughter and my eyes immediately fluttered open. I wasn't dreaming, Clark was actually laughing. He seldom laughed and my eyes narrowed at him, although my heart raced wildly seeing his eyes crinkle in happiness and crimson colour slowly spreading over his face.

As if killing the joy of the moment, Clark's phone buzzed and I sighed wearily. He picked up the call and I quietly peeled the orange.

Once he hung up on the phone, he swiftly snatched the orange from me and announced, "We have to go."

"Where?"

"To your birthday present---"

"YOU GOT ME A BIRTHDAY PRESENT?!" I cut him off halfway and nearly tackled him to the floor.

He groaned as I sat on his laying body, just a few inches above Tommy and jumped excitedly. I reiterated gleefully, "Where is it? Where is it? Where is it?"

He shoved me away from him and got up, vexed. He slowly straightened himself and I couldn't contain myself. I blinked at him repeatedly expecting an answer, but he remained silent. I wanted to know so badly because this was a present from Clark. The one who despised me and it astonished me that he even got me a present.

I couldn't stay still anymore as I held the collar of his shirt and screeched, "Tell me where it is? Tell me!"

He glanced at my grip on his collar and glared which made me leave his collar immediately.

He muttered, "I have to drive you there, so come outside. Ian is waiting for us by the car."

"Aye, Ian is there too!" I jumped all the way to the car, dragging a grumpy Clark behind me. Just as I spotted Ian, I did a fist bump with him and he smiled kindly like usual. "How are we going?"

"Get in the car, it's nearby," Ian said blithely and held the door for me.

I grinned and got in breezily as Ian followed me inside and Clark started driving.

"Where are we going, Ian? I know that you know, so please?" I asked, desperation evident in my voice and placed my hands on my thighs since my legs couldn't stop shaking. Damn, I was so excited and boisterous to the point that it was probably unhealthy.

Clark quickly fished out a crisp, white envelope from his pocket while driving simultaneously and handed it to me. "Here take this and read. You'll understand."

I quickly tore open the envelope and inside lay two tickets. My eyes scanned the tickets as fast as possible, my mind registering only the keywords mentioned and I realised that we were going to a circus. A circus?

"Here we arrived," Clark started plainly and pulled over in front of the building.

I hurriedly unbuckled the seatbelt and sprang to my feet. "A circus? We're going to watch a circus? That's a pretty nice surprise Brownie. I would love to do that."

"No," Clark said tacitly and snatched the envelope from me. "These two tickets are for Ian and me, not you."

"What?" I almost had tears in my eyes. "Why not me? That's my present mister."

I tried to snatch it back, but Clark raised his hand indicating me to stop. "This is not your present."

"What?" My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as Clark and Ian led me inside the building.

"Ian and I are supposed to sit in the audience and watch you on stage," Clark said nonchalantly and my jaw hung wide open. Did I hear that correctly?

It took me exactly twenty seconds to process and register what he said and it took me exactly twenty seconds to pull him into a tight, suffocating hug.

"I can't believe this! I always wanted to perform in the circus! Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!" I cried in joy and released Clark who tried to suppress his smile awkwardly.

"Here ma'am, you need to get changed," a plump lady wearing a pencil skirt and white shirt said politely as she handed me a clown's costume.

Holy shit, my dream was finally coming true!