Chapter 8 : The Whimsical Sketch

"How can you two be best friends? This is really a small world, isn't it? Wait . . . let me guess." I tapped my chin thoughtfully and glanced at Clark. His face was unreadable and stoic, but something was wrong, I could sense it. It seemed as if Clark wasn't pleased with what Ian had said about them being best buds.

"Aha! You both have faint British accent so you may know each other. Ian, you came from England to this town a few months ago and Clark just shifted over here, from England!" I punched my own palm in excitement and Ian chuckled. "I'm right, ain't I?"

Ian nodded and I smiled in victory. I was such a genius to figure it out. I dug my hands into my pocket and my skin felt smooth, crisp money. I suggested them, "Guys, I'm damn hungry. Let's go for lunch at Macpie's. And don't worry, I'll pay for my own lunch."

"Alright let's go," Ian replied. We both looked at Clark expectantly and he shrugged. So off we three musketeers went for lunch.

* * *

We were now sitting and waiting for our food. Ian and I talked a lot about the town whereas Clark was quiet the entire time. I tried to drag him into the conversation but he rarely talked. He replied through gestures most of the time.

"So Ian, tell me about your friendship with Clark," I said and Ian softly drummed his fingers on the table. Clark stared at Ian caustically. I quirked an eyebrow in question at Clark, but he averted his eyes to the table.

"I don't have much to say about our friendship, just that we were friends since kindergarten."

"Aw, how cute," I mused in and Clark scoffed.

At that moment, the waiter approached us with a tray filled with our ordered food. "Here, this is your regular pizza with double cheese George."

"Hmm, smells delicious as usual," I praised her as my stomach growled. I dove into the pizza without bothering about anybody else. I heard Ian's laughter as I took a giant bite of the cheesy pizza. The melted cheese dripped down my mouth and I licked it. I was in pure bliss and I moaned in delight.

Instantly, I felt the gazes of Ian, Clark and the waiter on me. All three of them looked at me strangely. The waiter cleared his throat and disappeared. Ian and Clark both of them stared at me and then they glanced at each other for a second. Both of them shook their heads and looked down at their own lunch. I shrugged indifferently and took another bite of my yummy pizza.

Once again, I moaned in appreciation of the tasty pizza. I looked up and saw the boys staring at me again. They looked so . . . strange and weird. Their eyes turned dark yet sparkled in an odd way. Was that lust?

"Did I blow a parachute in your pants?" I remarked sarcastically.

Both of them coughed awkwardly. I narrowed my eyes and Clark threatened in an icy cold voice, "Do not make that noise again. Ever."

"Does that affect you, brownie?" I teased, winking at him.

"George, how are you doing?" the manager of Macpie's suddenly called out.

I waved at him and replied, "Fine, Sir! Wait there, I want to talk to you."

I got up from my seat and excused myself. The boys nodded their heads and I went to the manager.

"Did you get to know anything about my mum's killer?" I whispered surreptitiously. Since mum's accident took place right before this restaurant, we hoped that any of the people present in the restaurant that night would possibly know who the real culprit was.