Friday, November 24 Cont'd

I know you're all thinking who is this person and where are all these updates coming from?! Hopefully I can maintain this pace! ENJOY! -DBR

MACI POV

I was sitting on the couch downstairs, my grandma, Nana and mom had gone Black Friday shopping at like four in the morning so they were all just relaxing after their shopping escapades. My grandmas loved to shop and it hadn't surprised me my mom had gone along.

"I'm going to go lay down for a few. Maci if you need me just wake me up, okay?" She said.

I nodded my head, shifting positions in the chair I was curled up in. I pulled the tube of my oxygen to release the tension from my new position. I rested my head in one of my propped up hands, watching the TV.

"Maci honey." My grandma asked after a few minutes.

"Yeah?" I didn't lift my head from my hand but I turned so I was looking at her.

Even in her tired state she still looked meticulous. She had returned from shopping in a tailored pant, a blouse and a jacket over top and a pair of low heeled boots. She had not looked like she had woken up at 4 am, stood outside in the cold, just to rush the front doors of a store with a ton of other people to shop. My Nana and mom had basically fallen through the door of the house exhausted and disheveled.

"Tell us honestly, how are you feeling?" She asked.

Nana sat up a little straighter, the sleepiness on her face erased for the time being. My first instinct was to just brush her question off like I did everyone else. But I knew grandma and Nana wouldn't settle until they had the actual answer.

"I'm okay most days, just really tired mostly." I answered.

"Do you have much pain?" Nana asked.

I nodded my head, "Yeah but I've got medicine to help."

"How's the chemo affecting you?" Grandma hadn't taken her eyes off me.

I shrugged. "I don't think it's really doing much."

"Are you discussing other options?" She asked.

"I've been doing some research." Nana piped up.

"Your grandpa and I meet this woman, she's a specialist in childhood cancer. I think we should set you up to see her but she's in Florida." My grandma said. "You could live with grandpa and I."

I blinked, unsure of what to say. I'd love to go back to Florida and see my old friends. But if I left would Levi come with me? And what about my friends here? And my parents?

"I...uh..." I stammered.

"You of course can think about it." Grandma added.

"Have you guys looked into a bone marrow transplant and donor?" Nana asked.

"I have an appointment this week to talk about it and 'my options'." I said, air quoting my options with one hand.

"Good." They both agreed.

The conversation turned away from talk of my cancer, getting redirected to school, my friends, and the talent show.   

"Maci, Jared's here." My dad said poking his head into the living room from the kitchen.

"Jared?" Both my grandmas said in unison.

"Who's Jared?" Nana asked. "Have you heard about him?"

"Not one word from anyone." My grandma answered.

A smile pulled at the corners of my mouth.

"Just tell him to come in." I said.