Wednesday, September 20

I tossed my backpack down on the floor just inside my room. It was the following Wednesday which meant I had two days to convince my parents and Levi to let me go to Skylar's concert. To be honest I wasn't too worried about my parents. They were always so supportive in anything we wanted to do as long as it was safe. In Florida the rules were basically to let them know where we were and to check in via phone call or text. We could have gotten into so much trouble. Though I think a lot of the reason why we didn't was because they trusted us so much we had no reason to rebel. I kicked my shoes off before leaving my room. I hopped down the stairs, glancing in the kitchen before turning into the living room. I headed towards my parents room, drumming my fingers on my legs as I walked. I went over a hundred variations to how I was going to ask, not that it'd matter. I knocked on the door before turning the knob and pushing the door open. The room was empty but the door to the master bathroom was closed, so I sat on the bed. I tucked my hands under my legs, glancing around the room. Mom was constantly redecorating or painting or shifting things around in the house. I suppose when you don't work much you have time to do that sort of thing. At the current moment the walls were beige with the exception of the wall with the bed on it, which was painted a light olive green color. The furniture was a natural wood color and very modern. The bedspread was white and there was green and brown accent pillows meticulously placed across it. There were photos and a few wall sculptures placed here and there throughout the room.

"Hey honey, is everything okay?" I jumped at the sound of my mom's voice.

"Yeah, I just wanted to ask you something." I said, returning her smile.

She sat down next to me, wrapping her arm around me to give me a hug. "Shoot."

"Well my friend from school invited me to a concert they're playing in on Friday and I really want to go." I started, pausing to see if she'd say anything. "Levi doesn't want me to but I think he's being ridiculous."

Mom didn't say anything for a minute, obviously thinking it over. "Why does Levi think it's a bad idea?"

"Probably because my friend is a guy." I answered truthfully, there was no point lying she'd find out sooner rather then later.

"What's his name?" She asked her eyes lighting up.

She loved when Levi and I brought home a friend of the opposite gender. I think she wanted us to fall in love, get married, and have kids so she could be a grandma. However at sixteen we all knew that was not going to happen. It didn't stop her from dreaming though.

"Skylar." I mumbled quietly, I had a feeling this was going to be embarrassing. "Skylar Williams."

"Do you like him?" My mom asked, giving me a playful nudge.

I groaned, "As a friend mom!"

She let out a laugh, throwing her hands up in surrender. She knew I hated talking about crushes and all that mushy stuff. "Okay, okay. Well I don't see why you can't but we'll ask dad when he gets home, okay?"

I nodded, a smile spread across my face. I wrapped my arms around her neck giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Thanks Mom!"

I jumped to my feet, rushing out of my room and up to my bedroom. I snatched my phone off my desk, texting Jackie.

'Hey come with me to Skylar's concert on Friday.'

I set my phone back down, grabbing my guitar off its stand. I sat down on my bed, grabbing a pick off my nightstand and started lazily strumming as I waited for Jackie to respond. I was going to go whether Jackie came with me or not. It would just be less awkward if I had someone to talk to throughout the night. My phone buzzed as I leapt up from my bed, guitar in hand. I unlocked it, opening the message.