A Get Back to Reality

She looked at his face and stroked his cheek with her finger as she stared at his face printed on the newspaper. A heavy pant escaped her mouth as she thought about him.

It was a mandatory for them to take so much struggles and adjustments — if they would be together, if.

She could imagine how she would struggle to compete with his love for the country, his devotion to his countrymen, his principles and selflessness, his jealous personality and all.

Can I handle it or will I be selfish with him? She asked herself but neither did she know the answers.

She just couldn't stop daydreaming about her and Digong ever since he low key confessed to her a week ago.

"You're a very special lady, Leni. Wag ka magbago." His voice resonated on her ears, the image of his face smiling softly at her flashed at the back of her mind.

Ever since that encounter, she already considered him as a man who would make her fall in love again. He made her laugh, made her blush, made her feel beautiful, made her feel special and packed butterflies inside her stomach. She couldn't stop imagining of how they could possibly start, thinking of different situations with them at the spotlight, stories about them inside her beautiful mind — everything, she had it as she daydreamed.

It was so new to her as she never experienced being courted in that manner, she didn't have much basis for love than her late husband but with everything that Digong did, she knew that what was sprouting inside her was the same feeling she had for Jesse.

She looked outside the car's window and tried to return to reality but he just kept entering her mind. I hope he still finds me the same kahit na parang rejection yung dating ng response ko sa confession niya.

He held my hand and looked at her, she was stoned as he touched her. "Leni," he uttered finding it hard to suppress himself from telling her how he feels. His left hand held her and his right hand on top of her hand.

"I like you so much?" He sounded uncertain. "Tanong ba yan sir?" She replied, he chuckled,her response relieved his nervousness.

"No, I like you, Leni. Obvious naman ba?" He asked, she just smiled. He had to tell it to her as it has been clogged up inside him for so long, he didn't care anymore if she'll reject him or not, what matters to him is that he made her know.

He waited for her response but she remained silent making him think he made her flabbergasted.

"Gusto kita ma'am, sana ayos lang sa'yo." He clarified hoping she'll say something in return. She felt so overwhelmed, she didn't know what to say, the words ran out of her head.

"I'm sorry," it was the only words that came out of her mouth. An apology for not replying right away but it came differently to him.

I should have known.

His bright smile fainted but he tried to keep it on so she won't feel bad for him. He tapped her head and gently freed it from his grip.

"Ayos lang ma'am." He replied with a soft smile. Ha? It confused her. "Di man ako nag-eexpect of anything in return. You don't feel the same, it's fine." He continued.

No. No. No. Wait. Misunderstanding. Thoughts clamored in her head making her unable to speak.

"Pero Leni," he looked at her in the eye. "Gusto ko lang malaman mo kaya sinabi ko ngayon." He explained hoping she won't feel awkward after his confession.

"No, sir. Ano..." she stammered. "Uhm, I'm sorry—" she hated how she spoke the wrong words.

He chuckled, "Ayos lang talaga ma'am." He replied implying that he's fine with the rejection.

He waited for the situation to fade before he smiled at her again, "You're a very special lady, Leni. Wag ka magbago." He expressed with a fainted smile.

Sir, wait lang. I'm sorry because hindi ako nagsalita agad. Wait, naspeechless ako, it's not rejection. Sir, I'm not rejecting, I'm sorry, wait lang—

Someone suddenly came to greet Digong and thank him for inviting then to the small gathering. The other guests came in interrupting the talk, Leni knew she already lost the chance to tell him what she really wanted to say.

"Kain ka na muna." He tapped her back languidly and smiled — she just nodded, she was speechless again. 

Anong nangyari? Bakit natameme ako? Bakit wala akong sinabi?

"Naaappreciate rin kita, sir. Salamat kase naappreciate mo rin ako." That is how she wanted to respond but she didn't. 

Now she hated that she made him feel rejected and she wasn't brave enough to clarify her response to his confession. How do I correct it?

"Leni?" Perfecto called her out as he noticed her seeming to daydream. "Ah, sorry!" She walked ahead.

The car stopped, they finally arrived at the venue. They arrived a bit too early, it would be too long and boring if she'll go up the stage right away.

"Nancy, pagising nalang ako, okay lang ba? Iidlip lang ako sandali." She requested. "Sige po ma'am. Matagal tagal pa naman daw po bago magsimula yung program." She replied.

She was having a hard time to sleep since Digong confessed to her. She couldn't stop thinking what she could've said and what she should have said the moment he confessed to her. He saw the sincerity in his eyes and it made her feel secure that they're both on the same page.

She couldn't stop thinking how perfect it would be for them to be together — for real.

— END —

A/N: And that was a cliff hanger and a bit loose because there is a short book two for this story titled "It Takes One Woman." Please do check it out on My Works and add it to your reading list! Things will be clearer to you after you read it! Thank you!!!!