Year 6: Bayan o Puso?

The light coming from the outside entering the glass window blinded her as she woke up. She slowly opened her eyes and saw that the other side of the bed was empty. She stood up and wore Digong's plain polo to cover her bare body temporarily before she looked for him.

She followed his voice and saw him talking to someone over the phone.

"Oo, maggamit ako ng chopper papunta doon para mabilis. Sige." She overheard as she leaned at the door's frame.

"Oh, gising ka na." He strode towards her and kissed her forehead. "Sino yung kausap mo?" She asked as his eyes glistened staring at his woman wearing nothing but his loose polo. "Wala yon, si Delfin." He replied. "Anong meron? Bakit gagamitin yung chopper?"

"Pupunta ako sa Marawi sa miyerkules. Tignan ko lang yung sitwasyon." He shared and stroked her hair. Leni started to feel a bit lost, "Sa miyerkules? Saan doon? Magulo pa doon para pumunta ka ha?" She asked.

"Hindi naman, tignan ko lang yung mga tao. Gamitin ko yung chopper para private." He replied. "Pero delikado parin doon. Nakared alert pa nga yung PNP doon diba? Hindi ba pwedeng kapag humupa na yung sitwasyon doon ka pumunta doon?" She negotiated. "Leni, kailangan ko malaman yung lagay doon. Hindi pwede iwanan ko lang yung mga tao doon." He explained but she was certain that she didn't want him to take the risk.

"Saan ang landing mo at gaano kalayo yan sa war zone?" She wanted further details, he sighed and took a moment before he answered as he knew she was just going to worry more. "Twenty kilometers." He confessed but lied. He was planning to go ten kilometers away from the war zone.

Leni panted sharply, "Digong naman." She whined. "Nandoon pa yung ibang Maute diba? May balak ka ba magsuicide?" She followed. "Hindi sa ganon, Leni. Titignan ko lang yung mga tao. Mabilis lang yon. Baka nga di nila malaman na bumisita ako. Isa pa, yung mga PSG magchecheck yon bago ako maglanding doon." He tried to convince her but it was no good.

"Digong. Wag na, please? Papano kung may mangyari sayo doon? Hindi ko alam kung anong gagawin ko kapag may nangyari sa'yo doon. Alam mo naman yung mga teroristang yan walang sinasanto." She refuted. "Eh—"

"Digong. Isipin mo naman ako, kailangan pa kita." She pleaded him not to go. His heart has always been fragile for her and it was very seldom that she begs him to do something for her. He was dying to check on the Marawi evacuees and the city's situation, he wanted to make sure they're fine but he also can't handle seeing the love of his life worry badly for his safety.

He was silenced for a while and looked at her. "Please?" She uttered softly. He reached out for her hands and kissed it. He exhaled heavily, "Sige na. Hindi na. Dito lang ako." He conceded and held her closely before he kissed the top of her head.

He hated how he made her worry but the people also hold a place in his heart that it made him so torn.

The people or the love of his life?

Nevertheless, he made a choice and promised Leni that he won't go until the place is surely safe.

She looked up to him and smiled, "Thank you." She whispered and kissed him gently.

God, she is really my ray of sunshine. Her smile, her face, her everything. I love her.

He uttered at the back of his head as he locked stares with her. She pulled him again for another soft kiss that transitioned into some heartfelt and passionate one leading them back to the bedroom.

She pulled him close without letting go of his lips until they reached the bed. "Ulit ulit?" She flashed a smirk, he replied with a kiss and pinning her sweetly to the bed.