Chapter 48

Two and half months later on august 13th, Trevor and India were sitting on a hill in Lake Wind. They were hanging out together in India’s favorite spot for the last time. With move in day tomorrow, Trevor and India would be forced to part ways. India’s flight leaves at five in the morning to California, and Trevor himself was heading to New York that night.

The couple sat quietly for a while, staring at the large body of crystal blue water. Seagulls flew overhead, flapping their wings in the cool breeze of the summer winds. People were walking around laughing, joking, and generally having a good time. The only ones who seemed to be stiff with sadness were Trevor and India.

They remained silent, not even looking at each other. Both knew this day was coming, but tossed it to the back of their minds. The entire summer they spent together in carefree happiness, not once acknowledging the future that was to come. Clouds began to flood the sky, preventing the bright sun from shinning down on them.

India took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “So… what time you leaving?” she asked, eyes stuck to the grass before her.

“Like eleven,” Trevor answered. His voice was colder than normal. “Imma drive all night. Should get there by noon.”

India weakly smiled. “Bet you can’t wait huh?”

“For what? A ten hour drive?” Trevor replied, answering her question with sarcasm. “More like can’t wait to get it ova’ with.”

“Yea…” India agreed, nodding slowly. The silence returned to their lips, making the whole area seem lifeless.

Finally, Trevor couldn’t take anymore; he had to speak his mind. “This sucks,” he blurted out.

India raised an eyebrow, wondering what he meant. “Hmm?”

“I said this sucks,” he repeated, narrowing his eyes. “ ‘This’, as in you goin’ to Cali, and me New York.” India lowered her eyes, feeling what her boyfriend said. “I’m keep askin’ myself, why it gotta be like that?”

“Yea, me too,” she added, bringing her legs to her chest and wrapping her arms around them. “Well… we can always visit each other.

Trevor clenched his teeth, turning his gaze to her. “I aint trynna just visit ya, . . . I wanna be with you India.”

India smiled sadly, leaning her head on Trevor’s shoulder. She didn’t exactly know what to say; she just knew she felt the same way. “And I want to be with you, but…”

“But what can we do, huh?” Trevor intervened, finishing her sentence.

“The only thing we can… “ India said, Trevor sat still, waiting for her to elaborate. “Talk. Enjoy what we have left,” she slightly closed her eyes, remembering the times they had together. “You know… I’ve been dreaming about college and having some ridiculous perfect future sense middle school. But now that it’s here, I almost don’t want it.”

“Why’s that?”

India almost blushed before she grew the courage to answer him. “You…” she smiled. “I know it sounds crazy, but what I’m going to miss most about this place. . . is you.”

Trevor let out a short half laugh. “That don’t sound crazy at all. Sound like a good thing.”

“Maybe… for you at least,” she teased. It wasn’t long before she quieted down again, getting serious. “You remember the first time we met?”

“Unfortunately,” he nodded, thinking back to that dreaded day. “I got tore off cause of you,” India sucked her teeth, glancing at Trevor.

“Hey… I said I was sorry like a million times,” she reminded.

“Naw, you good,” he shot back. “I’m actually glad it happened. Cause we wouldn’t be here if it aint.”

India’s heart blossomed with tender bliss upon hearing Trevor’s statement. She could tell he wasn’t just pulling her card; he was for real. “That wasn’t the tune you were singin’ back then though. If I don’t recall you were pissed off.”

“I was,” he admitted. “But I stayed pissed off though, so that really don’t count.”

“Yea, yea, yea…” India mocked, nudging him in the side. “Every time your wrong it doesn’t really count.”

“That’s cause I’m never wrong,” Trevor grinned. India found little humor from his gist of arrogance.

“Really? Could have fooled me,” she remarked.

“Oh yea,” he smirked, placing his arm around India. “Just name a time I was wrong, and I bet ya that I was truly right.”

“Negro please,” India laughed. “I can name a million times you were wrong and never truly right,” she stated, leaning back on him. Trevor tossed her a look that said ‘try me’. “Okay, what about the time when you thought I shouldn’t go natural? You said I wouldn’t look the as ‘pretty’.”

Trevor scrunched his face like he knew that was a mistake. “Mannnn, you see. What had happen was…” India rolled eyes, giving him her full attention as he tried to explain himself. She smiled brightly at him, lost in her memories and good times. Trevor’s mind dwelled on what they had as well; reminiscing on countless stories and tales they shared. The two sat together laughing and joking with each other, completely forgetting about tomorrow. They knew what their future situation was, but it didn’t matter. All that concerned them now was this last bit of time they’ll have together, which they made of the best of.